Socialization: Just a buzzword?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lydiavj
User

Postby lydiavj » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:54 pm

My little girl has been home schooled since Kindergarten, she's 7 years old now and I think she's one of the best behaved kids where ever we go. I'm not just saying it because she's my daugher.

For example:

At my church, most of the kids attend public school. I am the kids church teacher and I can say that they really don't have any 'proper' socialization skills. They don't use their good manners, they constantly interrupt me when I'm teaching and they play really rough. They don't know how to talk to each other in a gentle, kind tone.

Now, when I homeschool my little girl, I am also teaching her christian principles. She has socializing time with other homeschooled kids and I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between these kids and the ones in the public school.

For one thing, my kids and the other homeschooled kids, don't cuss and are deliberately rude to each other. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're perfect, but just saying that you can see that they're 'differernt' in a refreshing way.

Second, my kids aren't being taught (from other kids mind you) the latest rude joke, the latest expression or whatever.

As far as toys are concerned, they're not affected by the peer pressure of having the latest type of whatever toy is out there and feeling like they're less than because they don't have it.

My children don't deal with the teasing etc....

I think it boils down to the parents taking responsibility for how theirkids end up.

I think that if my little girl were going to a public school, she would be more difficult to control only because I would have to be constantly UNDOING what I don't like from the other kids.

Another thing to consider:

Home schooled kids are being raised by their own parents and have constant parental supervision.

Public schooled kids do not have that. How can 1 or 2 teachers know what 30 - 40 kids are doing at all times? In my opinion, these kids are being shortchanged. No wonder they have issues.

Now I'm not saying all kids who go to public schools are difficult kids, but I'm just saying they have to deal with more crap.

My 2 cents

Lilly
Who Says Stay At Home Moms Can't Have It All?

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:01 pm

On the subject of "socialization" (I loved the definitions! Why hadn't I thought to look them up?) here's my take on that constant question. I only just started homeschooling recently (4 mths ago for one child, 1 mth ago for another.) My family (siblings, mother) and friends were all very surprised. This, to a person, was the very first question asked. Like a floundering have-to-say-something question to a shocking situation. I think it's because for many people, the idea of homeschooling just NEVER came up before. Either they haven't kids or they have their kids in public schools. Most parents both work now, so homeschooling is pretty much a non-issue (though I know NOW it can be done, 5 months ago I never would have dreamed!) Even if they knew someone who homeschooled, it was usually someone more abstract (so-and-so's sister-in-law's neice kind of thing.) So, pretty much, they haven't ever really thought about it. (Hey, I used to think, "She homeschools? Huh. Interesting." And that would be about it.) This is just the way it is in many places (though I think that's changing, but like I said, I'm still new to this.) As homeschoolers now, I am constantly reading up on everything I can, I have several forums I track, and homeschooling has become a major part of my life (and mental workings.) Still, for most people, it's a rather surprising and foreign idea. It's not on par with religion and politics (thank goodness), maybe more like becoming a vegetarian or moving onto a commune or something like that.

:roll: That's my take anyway! :lol:

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:05 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:52 pm

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Fri May 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”