What curriculums do you use?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lydiavj
User

What curriculums do you use?

Postby lydiavj » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Who Says Stay At Home Moms Can't Have It All?

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com

elliemaejune
User

Re: What curriculums do you use?

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:48 pm

RUAGORECKI2
User

What I used.

Postby RUAGORECKI2 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:40 pm

I have 2 boys 7 and 4 years old. My oldest we used Alpha Phonics and he seemed to fly right through learning phonics. ( I also learned a lot ) We are using Rod and Staff english and spelling now. They are working great. My son is understanding it very well. And his spelling is very good. ( both my husband and I were awful in spelling) So I have to say these are working for us. (I tried many others before these) With all that said you do have to find what will work best with your child. Children learn differently and some will find things easy while others will find it hard. I hope this will help you out some.

Jamie
Jamie Gorecki
Indepenent Bright Minds Consultant
www.BrightMinds.us/web/JamieG

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:25 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:21 am

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Calla, I also use Time4Learning with my two kids! Anyway, here's what I'm using atm...

Math: Time4Learning (algebra-7th grader); Math-U-See (3rd grader)
Science: Time4Learning (7th & 3rd); Discovery Channel and NOVA documentaries (both)
History: Time4Learning (3rd); History Channel, Historical Fiction (both)
Language Arts: Time4Learning (both); Analytical Grammar (7th); Handwriting Without Tears (3rd); IEW (both); Reading Detective (both)
Spelling: http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/spelling/ (7th); Sequential Spelling (3rd)
Geography: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm (both)
Spanish: Rosetta Stone Spanish (just got it) (both)
Music: Drum lessons (7th); Guitar lessons (3rd)
Art: among various... http://www.adobe.com/education/digkids/lessons/

I've had to warn my kids that they will soon have to do 29 hours of school a day because of all the cool things I want them to do. Strangely enough, they weren't amused... :lol:

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:00 pm

:lol: :lol:
I can't imagine why not.... 8)

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Annie
User

Re: What curriculums do you use?

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:44 am

[quote="lydiavj"]Hello,

My name is Lilly and I'm new to this forum.
My little girl is in the second grade right now.

I was wondering what curriculum or material you use that is very easy to teach and grasp.

Also, any of you use any good math material?

Sounds like you are doing well so far with what you are using! I like BJU (Bob Jones University Press) for math and Explode the Code for phonics. I like Learning Language Arts Through Literature for all LA. Take care and have fun with homeschool! I would not worry too much about second grade spelling. I have found this comes, in time, with reading much. Look at How to Teach Any Child to Spell and Tricks of the Trade both by Gale Graham- if you are really concerned about it. :D Annie

jrb434
User

aop

Postby jrb434 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:17 am

I have 2 girls that are homeschooled, grades 1 and 3. I use Alpha Omega Publications for everything but math, which I use Saxon math for. Although next year we will go with Alpha Omega Pub for math as well.

Right now we are using Life-pacs, and my 1st grader will use them again next year, but my older daughter for 4th grade will probably switch to their Switched on Schoolhouse system. When my youngest hits 3rd grade, we'll swtich to that for her also I believe. (SOS is their computer based curriculum.)

I love Saxon but for my girls, math comes very easily (runs in the family) and Saxon tends to be overkill for them. For a kids that struggles with math I would recommend saxon because it does a lot of manipulation.

keptwoman
User

Postby keptwoman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:40 am

I looked for a secular curriculum. I don't mind if it's published by a Christian company or created by a Christian, but I didn't want bible passages littered throughout the text.
So I have chosen:

Maths: Math U See
Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind
Writing: Getty Dubay Italic
Spelling: Spell to write and read (this is has the odd bible reference but it's pretty easy to leave them out)
History: Story of the World

Science and art: we are doing interest led unit studies, sometimes we base these on the history lessons and lapbook them, other times we do seperate things, in the next few months we will be looking at Airplanes with help from Hands of a Child lapbooks and Germs....I haven't planned that one yet though :P We also do nature journalling and I'm lusting after the Winter Promise options.
Music: DS is learning to play the cornet and he is doing a creative/performing arts homeschool class.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”