How can I balance my time?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mykiddosmom
User

How can I balance my time?

Postby mykiddosmom » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:11 pm

I have four children, b5, b2, g1, and b2 mo. After extensive research into the school system here in CA, I have decided that there is no way in the world that I am going to send my children to public school. We kicked around the idea of catholic school, but the closest is 1 hour away, so that is out of the question. The best answer for us seems to be homeschool. I am a little scared it and I am really looking for some advice.
How do I manage my time between children? My son will be starting kindergarten in the fall, so how do I divide my time between children? If anyone has any tips, I would greatly appreciate it. I know this is the best thing for my kids and our family, it just seems getting started is a little scary.
Also, how do I find other moms in the area that also homeschool?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:21 pm

California has numerous homeschool groups:
http://www.home-school.com/groups/CA.html

If none of them are close enough to you, you can also try searching for Internet-based support groups for your area through Google or Yahoo Groups.

Ramona
User

Re: How can I balance my time?

Postby Ramona » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:21 pm

You can manage your time any way that you want. You're the boss.

You can experiment and change what you're doing every day or every week or every year. There are very few "rules" when it comes to homeschooling. You are free!

When I started homeschooling my oldest I would do several things with all the little kids participating as a group. Then after lunch I would put all the littler ones in their rooms for naps/quiet time and do the big-boy stuff: math and reading readiness--with my son one-on-one.

As time went on I needed more time for the math and reading, so I would have the little kids play with toys in a designated area near us while we worked. Sometimes I would have the older preschooler push the baby in a stroller up and down the hall for a while. When needed, I nursed the baby while doing a lesson. The kids learned by experience to make allowance for each other's presence in their lives.

One way to find homeschoolers in your area is to google terms like "CA homeschooling" or "[your county] home educators."

HTH,
Ramona

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Return to “Getting Started”