Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOWDY! From Magnolia, Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: HOWDY! From Magnolia, Texas Reply with quote

My name is Victoria, my family and I live northwest of Houston, in Magnolia, TX. I have just recently decided to homeschool my children. Their ages are 10 (girl), 7 (girl) and I have one soon to turn 5 (boy.) I have been married to my husband for almost eight years but we have been together for nine in a half years.

Everything about hs is a little over my head. I have started at least seeing where my children are Language Arts wise by using the Alpha Omega Diagnostic Test booklet. I just purchased the Math placement testing book and will do all that on Monday. If you have any suggestions on curriculum that would be very helpful.

Hope to chat with you soon Very Happy
famlyferst
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi there! We are practically neighbors. I live near The Woodlands Mall. (Oak Ridge side of freeway) and work at a church in Magnolia.

I am new to these boards. I have viewed them a few times, but have rarely posted.

We just started homeschooling my 12 yr old son (7th grade) and plan to homeschool his twin sister and younger brother (1st grade) this fall. It is still above my head as well. We are currently using Switched on Schoolhouse Grade 7, but I am looking into other curriculum to supplement as well. I do love SOS, but feel like we need "more".
vincat
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congradulations. I'm in Channelview. You'll find this board is the best place for info and support.

I've been on for almost a month and have tripled my knowledge of hs. My son is in 1st grade and with suggestions from other members I have discovered that he is on track for his age and I am so less stressed now. I was so worried that I was failing in teaching him that I was considering paying an out of district fee so he could attend a better school district than the one we live in. I actually look forward to the school day now.

My daughter will be in kindergarten in the Fall and instead of sending her back to the MDO program she is in now (they have a Kindergarten program), I think I might hs her as well. I might even start with my toddler as well.

Right now I use everything as supplements. Leappad Learning System (phonics & reading skills), VSmile Video games for eye/hand coordination, math skills, memory and spelling. I went to The Homeschool Store and picked up lots of teaching aids (flash cards, posters, readers) and I use my spreadsheet program to make writing tablet paper so he can practice printing. (My hand writing is terrible so I want him to practice alot.)

I've discovered that just about everything can be a learning tool. Dora the Explorer and Go! Diego Go! are great for teaching beginning spanish. (I bought a CD program but it wasn't helpful. I wish I could get my money back.)

Your going to do great and you'll find all the support you could want right here.

Kate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: