I need a recommended reading list

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dragonfly183
User

I need a recommended reading list

Postby dragonfly183 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:39 am

I'll take a look around my bookshelves.. and see what might apply.

of couse, not all christian fiction is what you probably think it is.. :)

hmm.. gothic tastes..
let me ask my young flute student this afternoon.. we'll see what she
has been reading. :)

FLMom
User

Postby FLMom » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:09 am

I'm asking my DD, she's 10 and enjoys fantasy. We're going from memory here so I don't have all of the authors.

The Water Mirror - a series that is not fully released. I read this one and thought it was fun. Mermaids and stuff.

Pendragon series - there are 8 and my DD loves them.

The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper Magic use, I haven't read it so I don't know if it is realistic in any way. If your path involves magic, it might be more annoying than entertaining.

The Dark Hills Divide trilogy - I actually read these three and they were pretty neat. 12 y/o girl that find some kind of stone that allows her to talk to animals. There is some kind of trek to save the world and such.

They Merlin Conspiracy - Diana Wynne Jones I really enjoyed this one.

Inkheart and Inkspell

If we come up with more, I'll post again.

Came up with more....

I'm going to send you a link via PM with a list of books for the 12 year old. I was quite gothic as a teen and still hold many of those qualities as an adult. I have been a member of an online gothic community for several years and at one point had asked many of the members if they could recommend some good reading material for my DD. We've checked out a couple of the suggestions, but not all of them as there were WAY more responses than I had anticipated. The link I am sending is to the thread where I asked for recomendations. I hope you can find some interesting ideas there.

Ramona
User

Re: I need a recommended reading list

Postby Ramona » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:31 pm

Some fiction for a typical 9-year-old girl (according to my DDs who are now 12 and 15):

Sue Barton series (old books about a nursing student/nurse) by Helen Dore Boylston

Caddy Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

series about the relatives and ancestors of Laura Ingalls Wilder (Caroline of Brookside and others)

Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson

The Borrowers by Mary Norton and the sequels

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:23 pm

Forgotten realms has a great series called the Harpers. Very dungeons and dragons but a lot of fun, and not christian
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:01 pm

Can't go wrong with Lord of the Rings. Chronicles of Narnia is great too, I still reread those from time to time. The latter does of have Christian themes, but not to an extent that is likely to cause problems for you.

firestar2124
User

book ideas...

Postby firestar2124 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:34 am

Redhead
User

Postby Redhead » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:43 am

I can't recommend the David Eddings' fantasy series The Belgariad and its sequel series The Mallorean enough. It's absolutely the most fun to read. When I suggest the books, though, I also usually tell people to skip the prologues--- they're not really necessary to understanding any of the books and can give away info that you'd like to be more surprised by later on. The one thing everyone who's read them seems to agree on is that it feels like you're saying good-bye to a group of friends when you finish reading them.

As for your daughter, the Anne of Green Gables books might be enjoyable. It's a bit hard to make a really good suggestion here without knowing if she likes modern or historical works. The Witch of Blackbird Pond was also excellent. Island of the Blue Dolphins was popular with some of my former students as well. Books like A Wrinkle in Time and Bridge to Terabithia might appeal to her, too.
Redhead
"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." C.S. Lewis

dragonfly183
User

Postby dragonfly183 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:48 pm

you know all of those books were books i read when i was her age, why didn't i think of those before.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”