Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering home schooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgholden
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Considering home schooling Reply with quote

Hi my name is carrie. I am considering pulling my 6th grader out of public school and teaching him here at home. I have alot of questions about the process and could really use some advice?
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and ask your questions, we'll do our best to answer.
cgholden
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has adhd and his meds have never been an issue but this year at school its been a real ordeal with the students and teachers at his school. My biggest fear of pulling him out is that I won't be able to teacher the curriculum they say he needs in order to pass the states requirements. I have a limited income so price is a factor and I also have limited scholing myself. Until this year he was happy and loved school. Now he is failing three of his classes just because of homework issues yet all of his test are A's or B's. My sister home schools all of her children and suggested I do it with my son.
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your sister do or use?

Here is a link to a couple of books on Amazon:

There are several books there, but the first two are about homeschool for little to no cost. There are tons of materials online which you can get for the cost of paper and ink.

When you same limited education? What do you mean? Most states only require a high school diploma. There are a few that do not have any requirements, as well as a couple who require a bachelor's degree or higher. This site will give you more information on the laws in your state:

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp

Good luck!
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Rod and Staff and it is very reasonably priced. My daughter is in fourth grade this year.

My husband does the teaching, and he only has a high school diploma. He is doing fine. He was concerned that he wouldn't be able to teach things like grammar and math, but so far, he has had no trouble at all.

One of the things I love about home schooling is that homework is not an issue.
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. You said "they say he needs to meet the state requirements". Who are "they"? Take a look at www.hslda.org for the requirements of your state.

If he's doing well in school (except for homework), I'd suggest
1. Finding out why homework is an issue.
2. Finding out why the homework is required.
3. Brining him the material and simply testing him on it. If he fails, try it again, a different way. Remember, when you're the teacher, you can teach it as many times as you need to. Not just once and move on whether he gets it or not.
4. Don't pressure yourself as to time. If you need to go into the summer to complete the work, do so.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page from Mass. HOPE gives info on how to get started, including specifics on what info you do and don't need to send the school district:
http://www.masshope.org/gettingstarted.html
cgholden
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responed to my questions. My sister was able to help me out with alot of the materials and the questions about the districts require ments. I guess I'm just kind of nervous about doing this and part of me is questioning myself as to whether its the right thing to do. The more I think about it the better I feel about doing it and my son is actually eager to get the paper work saying he doesn't have to go back anymore. So THANKS AGAIN
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ma too, and if you are talking about MCAS, he doesn't have to take them. THe rest is up to your district. Make sure you get guidelines from the superintendant as to what they want from you. You will do fine!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
OA
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering starting home schooling, there are free PRINTABLES for home schoolers available at the link below. If you are interested in joining this Yahoo support group for home schoolers, you will receive daily reminders to post and connect with other home schoolers right HERE at "HOMESCHOOL WORLD", which is listed on the home page. For home schoolers getting started, there are many RESOURCES and LINKS to help you get off to a great start! You will receive weekly messages to encourage and support you in your role as home schooling mom, wife and homemaker!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSchoolingHelp4Moms

You are welcome to join us!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: