A Repeated Question: How do I get started and how soon?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

hatcher1999
User

A Repeated Question: How do I get started and how soon?

Postby hatcher1999 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:15 pm

I am a mother of three great kids, their ages are 10 (4th grade), 7 (2nd grade) and 4 soon to turn 5 (pre-K). I live in Texas, north of Houston, in Montgomery county. I am interested in homeschooling my children at least until they reach the age to be in intermediate/jr. high and maybe further. I have no clue how to get started and what all I need to do.

The main reason is the kids have missed alot of school due to a head lice infestation that we have yet to find why we still keep getting them. And trust me I have tried everything execpt shaving heads. I have two daughters who are very opposed to having their heads shaved.

If anyone could give me info on how to get started, please let me know.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:01 pm

THSC: Getting Started
NTHEN: Overview of Texas Law

And for a list of Texas homeschool support groups:
http://www.home-school.com/groups/TX.html

On a somewhat unrelated note, one of my sisters caught lice by sharing a hat with a friend from public school, so we ran into all the same sorts of problems you have. The problem is that lice are pretty much immune to all the commercial anti-lice treatments, so nothing you buy from the store is going to be much use at all. The best way to kill lice is simply to smear a nice thick coating of vegetable shortening (aka Crisco), vaseline, or mayonnaise over the entire scalp, making sure to cover all the hair down to the roots. Then cover that with a shower cap and sleep overnight. All the nasty little bugs will suffocate and die. The only downside is it's dang hard to get your hair clean afterwards, but that's a small price to pay. Mayo is probably the easiest to remove.

Also make sure to to do a thorough cleansing of anything your daughters' hair may have touched.

A site you may find useful:
http://www.homemakingcottage.com/health/lice.html

elliemaejune
User

The short answer...

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:54 pm

choose and acquire the teaching materials you want to use, notify the school that you are removing the dc to homeschool, and keep the dc home. There are no requirements to do anything to homeschool in Texas. The only reason you notify the school is so that no one thinks your dc are truant; it is not required by law.

hatcher1999
User

taking steps..

Postby hatcher1999 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:21 am

Okay my kids have ultimately decided that they do not want to return to school. I have the letters typed up that I need to send to the school regarding their withdrawling. I have some workbooks that the teachers have sent home with my girls but what curriculm is affordable for the grades of the 2nd and 4th. I have been trying to figure all that out. My son is 4 about to turn 5 what suggestions do you have regarding what is good for him. Also do the kids need to have music, physical education and other extra classes.

I have looked at THSC and gotten many ideas from their but looking for actual parental advice.

elliemaejune
User

Do you want secular or Christian materials?

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 am

I can make more recommendations for Christian materials, but I do know of some that are secular.

Also, I live in Texas if you'd like to e-mail me.

hatcher1999
User

Heres what I have done...

Postby hatcher1999 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:11 pm

Return to “Getting Started”