Would homeschooling work for us??

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

niteflytes
User

Would homeschooling work for us??

Postby niteflytes » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:46 pm

Hi,

I'm a single parent living in Indiana with one child - a 15 year old daughter in 10th grade. She gets sick very often and right now she's missed 2 weeks of school and several days this week so far. I'm terribly worried about her health and her education. When she's not sick she does excellent in school, however she hates the school atmosphere.
She attends a very large high school and doesn't like being around all the other students. She thinks most of the are "stupid" because they talk about sex, drugs, and other stuff that most teens are into, but that she's not into.

My questions are would homeschooling be an appropriate option for our situation?

Can a single parent, working full-time home school effectively?

Should I try to work something out with her school at this point or switch to homeschooling for the rest of the semester and until we get the health issues worked out?

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has. Thanks!
Catherine W.

possum
User

Postby possum » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:02 am

Hi,

Well I'm 17 and have been homeschooled since 5th grade. The majority of my time homeschooled I have been self taught. My parents make sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing but it's all up to me. Both my parents work full time but it doesn't make to much difference in my education, more family life issues but that's about it.

I spend a lot of my time on the internet researching things, reading, studying various topics, and slowly achieve the same knowledge as my same grade in high school.

Ask your daughter what she wants to do, if she is willing to do alot of work by her self then it may be right for her. When I hit a rough spot in my study material, questions I really didn't know....That's when it gets very frustrating because then you wish you had a teacher well versed in this material.

For one thing I'm very happy being home and studying on my own, very satisfying to say the least.

-Matt

Theodore

I too covered most of the material on my own:

Postby Theodore » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:22 am

There are also online courses, community college courses, and courses offered by local homeschool support groups. Some subjects do go better with a teacher and/or shared setting, especially subjects requiring a lot of equipment, such as lab biology / chemistry.

Forever
User

Postby Forever » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:36 am

I would recommend a On-Line Homeschooling program to finish the year to give you and your daughter an idea of how it will work for you. Especially since you won't be as hands-on as some homeschoolers. It sounds like it would fit right in with your daughters health issues.
Forever Home School

niteflytes
User

Thanks...

Postby niteflytes » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:03 pm

Thanks, I appreciate all the responses and advice. The school recommended trying to get her enrolled in the homebound schooling program in our area. I don't know if she will qualify. If she doesn't an on-line program sounds like a good option. Thanks again to everyone who replied!
Catherine W.

Return to “Getting Started”