Foreign Language

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lorelei
User

Foreign Language

Postby lorelei » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi all. We just started homeschooling our 5 year old and I am looking for some guidance as far as teaching a foreign language. I took French in school and did pretty good and I've taught him a few things already. I don't know much Spanish at all...I can count to 10 and I know a very few words. I know that the younger a child is the better grasp they have of learning a new language. If anyone knows of any good programs or links please post back here. I'm looking for both French and Spanish.

Thanks so much!
Lori, proud mom to Hunter (6) and Dalton (3)

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 am

If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

joyfuldays
User

Postby joyfuldays » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am

joyfuldays

Ramona
User

Re: Foreign Language

Postby Ramona » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:22 pm

The best text we've found in any language we've tried to learn is the scriptures.

The best approach we've found is immersion--just talk to each other about everything around the house in the language. If that's beyond your skill level, find someone in your community who speaks it and spend time with them as often as possible speaking that language. When we couldn't find anyone, we started with the beginning of the day and went from there. We learned to pray in that language, then to tell what the date is, and so on. "Thank you" is our most popular phrase in terms of the number of languages we are comfortable saying it in.

Ramona

lorelei
User

Postby lorelei » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks so much! I ended up searching and searching and the other day while we were having our music time I noticed that the cd I was using had a website... and they have a foreign language program. I ordered the French and Spanish from there. I can't wait to get them and start using them!

Thanks again for your help and suggestions! They were great!
Lori, proud mom to Hunter (6) and Dalton (3)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:17 pm

We use El Espanol Facil, they also have a french version. It is great, and I teach it to our homeschool group. It really gets your children to personlize the language, and use it in their lives very early.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Getting Started”