Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorelei
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Foreign Language Reply with quote

Hi all. We just started homeschooling our 5 year old and I am looking for some guidance as far as teaching a foreign language. I took French in school and did pretty good and I've taught him a few things already. I don't know much Spanish at all...I can count to 10 and I know a very few words. I know that the younger a child is the better grasp they have of learning a new language. If anyone knows of any good programs or links please post back here. I'm looking for both French and Spanish.

Thanks so much!
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter really likes watching Dora and has picked up some Spanish from there. They also have spanish coloring sheets on Dora's nickeloden site. I don't know if you want to teach Spanish but it's just a suggestion.
joyfuldays
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem a bit odd, but we are going to start watching much loved and memorized videos w/Spanish or French language options. Kind of an "immersion" technique.

I also took French and Spanish in highschool and college so I will read to them in both and work w/traditional methods also.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Foreign Language Reply with quote

The best text we've found in any language we've tried to learn is the scriptures.

The best approach we've found is immersion--just talk to each other about everything around the house in the language. If that's beyond your skill level, find someone in your community who speaks it and spend time with them as often as possible speaking that language. When we couldn't find anyone, we started with the beginning of the day and went from there. We learned to pray in that language, then to tell what the date is, and so on. "Thank you" is our most popular phrase in terms of the number of languages we are comfortable saying it in.

Ramona
lorelei
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I ended up searching and searching and the other day while we were having our music time I noticed that the cd I was using had a website... and they have a foreign language program. I ordered the French and Spanish from there. I can't wait to get them and start using them!

Thanks again for your help and suggestions! They were great!
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use El Espanol Facil, they also have a french version. It is great, and I teach it to our homeschool group. It really gets your children to personlize the language, and use it in their lives very early.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: