Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ACE behind?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MomofAJA
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Is ACE behind? Reply with quote

Hi..I have been homeschooling for about 4 years now.
I still feel as though I am new to this.
We have used ACE for the past two years now. It's a pretty good program. My question is, do you think that it's behind? Some questions that will be on his "end of 3rd grade test" are not covered in the ACE program and I have heard recently that the math is a year behind.
I am a little fustrated.
I was thinking of switching to another program like Switched-On School house or Abeka DVD. My son is smart but he gets bored real easy and he doesn't like to do the work that is assigned to him some days. I feel like the bad guy sometimes.
Can anyone help or offer suggestions?
Thanks, Becky
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is ACE behind? Reply with quote

MomofAJA wrote:
Hi..I have been homeschooling for about 4 years now.
I still feel as though I am new to this.
We have used ACE for the past two years now. It's a pretty good program. My question is, do you think that it's behind? Some questions that will be on his "end of 3rd grade test" are not covered in the ACE program and I have heard recently that the math is a year behind.
I am a little fustrated.
I was thinking of switching to another program like Switched-On School house or Abeka DVD. My son is smart but he gets bored real easy and he doesn't like to do the work that is assigned to him some days. I feel like the bad guy sometimes.
Can anyone help or offer suggestions?
Thanks, Becky

Well, I'm not sure anyone can say ACE is "behind." The fact that some things are not on the 3rd grade test doesn't mean as much as you might think. Maybe ACE is emphasizing other things at that grade level, but by the end of 4th or 5th or whatever, it's right on. See?

If you and your ds like ACE, then stick with it.

I'm surprised, though, that if your ds is smart he likes ACE. I would have thought he needed more challenge. I wouldn't recommend either SOS or ABeka DVD. I would encourage you to check out different publishers and find materials that are really challenging, not just a lot of work.
MomofAJA
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are right. Someone mentioned that the reason my son is bored is that ACE is too simple. I don't know. I really want to homeschool, and I want him to learn what he is suppose to. At the same time, I don't want to ruin our mother and son relationship, because I'm the one making him to school work that he doesn't like. I feel kinda overwhelmed.

Is there any reason you do not recommend the DVD programs? I thought it would be good since I have a 5 year old and a 3 year too. I was thinking it would help him, my 8 year old, to be more independant. What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Becky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: