Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyWhite
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Hello from Texas Reply with quote

Hello all! I'm so happy to have been referred to this site! It looks like y'all have tons of info here & I can't wait to get started.

My husband and I have three boys, 8,6, & 17mos. The oldest 2 are currently in ps, but we have recently decided to home school. I have been a sahm since my youngest was born & just love it! I would love to just not send them back after Christmas break (due to recent/ongoing events we have completely lost faith in our school system & the educators there Sad ), but we haven't chosen/bought our curriculum yet.

I'm not really sure where to start (other than joining this forum Laughing ) so any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks & I look forward to getting to know y'all!
Chrystal
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Texas Reply with quote

DO NOT send them back to ps for no other reason than that you don't have a curriculum package yet.

Homeschooling doesn't require a curriculum package.

Even if you had one, it would probably be a good idea to wait before starting on it and just de-school for a few weeks.

Check out http://www.amblesideonline.org

Ramona
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three boys, 9,7, 22 months. I agree with Ramonam take them out anyway, you can figure out what to do after you get a feel for how they learn and how you teach. The week after Christmas we spend playing with all the new toys (educational) that they got, and we have a lot of fun, you should definitly take some time off and let them relearn that learning is fun.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
LadyWhite
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. My husband doesn't want to take the kids out until we have a written curriculum (it is our understanding that that is one of the only requirements for homeschoolers in Texas. Are we wrong?). We know we have to give the school a letter of assurance, but what exactly has to be included in that letter?
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compliance with the Texas Education Code ยง25.086 (a)(1) shall be conclusive upon the receipt of an assurance from the parent of the child attending the home school stating that a curriculum consisting of books, workbooks, or other written materials designed to meet basic academic goals of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and a study of good citizenship, are provided.

The letter is sent to the school board of your district, and once it is received, the school board has no further authority. You're not required to prove yourself in any way, which is why Texas is probably the easiest state to homeschool in.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you can fulfill the curriculum requirement fairly easily..

if you are in DFW pop over to one of the Home Educators Resource
stores..
or I think you can access them online as well.

mark
LadyWhite
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. So we send a letter of withdrawal to the school and the letter of assurance to the school board?

We have decided not to send them back after Christmas break, but we don't want them to miss out on their Christmas parties beforehand. Do we send the letter next week so they get it after the holidays? The boys want to say goodbye to everyone. What do we do if the principal finds out we're not coming back & starts to question us? Should we go in & tell them what we're doing & that a letter is coming. We live in a small town & I do not want to have a lot of hard feelings. Lots of the people at school are people we know & go to church with.

Thanks so much for all the help Very Happy .
Chrystal
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your principal is a good principal, keep the lines of communication open, tell her that you are taking them out and let her know that it is not her fault...if it's not...You don't what to leave with bad feelings, schools can be a great resource, and your children may want to go back for special occasions, events and bookfairs and stuff. We use the library, some of the school books, and special ed resources for free. There is even a homeschooled boy in town that takes clarinet lessons for free. Your principal will be more open to helping you if you leave amicably (sp)
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
vincat
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: How is it going? Reply with quote

Did you decide what t do? I'm near Houston if you need start up curriculem.
Kate
LadyWhite
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,
We sent the letters of withdrawal on the same day we withdrew them. We also went in and spoke to both of the principals. Our k-2 principal was great. Everyone told us how sorry they were to see our son go as he is such a joy (yay!) & the principal said he would help us any way he could & even offered us use of their library. My son's teacher also offered to let me go through her worksheets & make copies!

Our 3-5 principal was less helpful. She even asked if they had done something wrong (hmmm? Is that a guilty conscience I hear?) We just told everyone that we were choosing homeschooling because we didn't have to take Jesus out of our school Very Happy .

All in all it went well. We did not have to send a letter of assurance as they have a standard letter for that that we just signed when we talked to the principals. Sooo, we are now homeschoolers! Yay!

I have not chosen a set/packaged curriculum yet. I thought we'd start off getting organized & spending some time in teacher's stores, bookstores, etc. If you have any suggestions, that would be great! You said you have start-up curriculum. What is included in that? I would definitely be interested in talking to you more about it.

Chrystal
vincat
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Hi again Reply with quote

For Kindergarten we used Horizons Language Arts and Math. With 1st Grade we are currently using Alpha Omega Life Packs for Language Arts, History/Geography, Science, Bible, Horizons Math and Powerglide Junior for Spanish (though this one I haven't found to be very useful). If your close I could share what I have while you get on your feet.
Kate
LadyWhite
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kate, Thanks so much for the offer. That's very generous of you. Very Happy Unfortunately, we live about 2hrs from Houston Sad . How do you like the Alpha Omega? I have a friend who used A Beka and seemed to like it. Do you happen to know of any curriculum fairs in Texas any time soon? I would really like to see the packages before I buy one.
Chrystal
vincat
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Hi again Reply with quote

I really like Alpha Omega Life Packs. They are really easy for new readers and a cinch to teach. (The teacher's guide is dummy proof.) The only problem is teacher aides (flash cards, blend ladders, etc.) are not available so I use Abeka aides as well as the blend books and readers.

I don't know of any seminars or events but you can check <www.abeka.com> they have a listing of areas where they have reps set up or curriculeum displays. I bought my stuff from Summit Christian Academy in Cedar Hill. They also keep school records for my son and provide standardized testing. (Registration and tuition fees apply) This way if we ever decide to put him in a traditional school we can provide education records. If I need help I can give them a call. There web address is <www.scahomeschool.com>

I hope this has been helpful.
Kate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: