It is setting in... Am I the only one???

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Jenlynn4673
User

It is setting in... Am I the only one???

Postby Jenlynn4673 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:30 pm

OMG, I have been receiving books and other info these last several weeks. Wow, it is SO overwhelming. The more I read, the more I am questioning if I made the right decision

I have been researching Homeschooling my children on and off over the last 2 years, but I think that the reality is really setting in.

I have gone through it a little, and am having mini anxiety attacks about keeping up with their age level.

These last couple of weeks, I have been doing Journal in the morning, a ½ hour of reading, some math sheets, geography sheets, spelling and spelling tests, so foreign language (Spanish), we have done a Science project, Art projects, basic music and so forth. I know it is a more well rounded course load than what they were recieving at PS, but I am so afraid.

I am trying to get us all excited about homeschooling and I am trying to give them a break from the formal institution of public school. At the same time, the reason we have been doing as much as we have is because I do not want them to think just because we are home it means only TV and Games. So, while I intended to hold off until January, I have been doing little with them here and there with them.

But the reality of not having a school or teacher to blame for the educational inconsistencies and delays in my children is really hitting me. Now it is ALL on me and that is scaring me to pieces!

I am also a bit nervous about taking away the typical 'normal' childhood school memories. I moved around alot growing up and one thing I hated was all the bouncing around and not having the ability to grow and nurture childhood friendships. I went to 9 schools and lived in almost 20 different locations by time I was 18. Anyway, that bothered me. It wasn't till I was 23 and met someone who was still very close to the same group that he had been friends with in 1st grade that I realized how much it matered to me. They all grew up together. I wanted that for my boys. We even made a pact that once the kids started school we will not move until they complete highschool.

They have made some friends, now between their moms looking at me like I am wacky for pulling my boys from school to HS them, and the amount of time for their afterschool activities, we will likely not be spending too much time from them. It doesn't seem to be affecting the boys. However, I am not sure if the entire aspect of them not returning to school after break has effected them.

Anyway... if you got this far thanks for reading my fears.
Jen
Mom to 2 boys
7 and 8
Officially Homeschooling Jan 2007!

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Of course it is scary, every life changing thing is. Childbirth, marriage, first house.... It's normal and ok, Just push through and before you know it it will be old hat...well maybe..but you will get used to it, and it won't be so scary.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

teenutter
User

Postby teenutter » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi Jen,

I homeschooled my two oldest children from kindergaten through the third grade and then they went to a small christian school at our church. The children that they developed close relationships with, went to our church, some attended the school for a short time. Only one of their close friends attended from the time the school opened til it closed like them, my youngest is 7 yrs younger than my middle child, her closest friend is some one who has attended our church all of her life just like my child. This child I am homeschooling now, she talks with her friends on the cell phone when it is free to call anyone and she sees them at church and church functions. They visit each other (sleep overs). My point I guess is that the public school isn't the only place you learn socialization and develop long lasting relationships.

Hope this help's with that fear.
God Bless

Tina

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:39 pm

It ight take awhile to feel really comfortable but just remember why you chose homeschooling to begin with :D And there are pros and cons to everything. As long as you know what the cons are for you and your children you can work at trying to fix them.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Ramona
User

Re: It is setting in... Am I the only one???

Postby Ramona » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:31 pm

Return to “Getting Started”