Home therapy for stutter ?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ramona
User

Home therapy for stutter ?

Postby Ramona » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:36 am

I'm new to this site but not to homeschooling. I much prefer to do things myself. Now my 3-y-o stutters and I was just letting her grow out of it, but it has started to affect her willingness to speak up at church and even at home. Has anyone here helped a child get rid of a stutter or stammer or does anyone whose child went through therapy for it know what the speech therapist did?

Thanks,
Ramona

Theodore

Re: Home therapy for stutter ?

Postby Theodore » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 pm

The following seems to offer a lot of useful advice:
http://www.coloradostutteringtherapy.com

Basically, reduce stress, don't allow interruptions or hurrying while she's speaking, give her verbal assignments in advance so she can practice on her own if necessary. If she has problems with certain words or sounds, suggest synonyms that she has an easier time with, or let her skip those words entirely and practice them on her own.

All of this is going to require a lot of practice on her part, though, just like you'd have to practice harder on writing if you had coordination troubles. The important thing is to allow her to get that practice, which means making sure she is allowed sufficient time to speak and not made fun of.

MNKristy
User

Postby MNKristy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:06 pm

Kristy

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids

dragonfly183
User

Postby dragonfly183 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:56 pm

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:18 pm

My son stutters. Although I homeschool I am allowed to set up appointments and take him to a speech therapist that works within the school system. I live in BC Canada and things may be much different here. I stopped this year as my son wasn't liking it.

The most important thing is something Theodore said..."don't allow interruptions or hurrying while she's speaking" My son hates it when people don't let him finish what he is trying to say. The only thing I really work at with him is eye contact. It is common for kids who stutter to look slightly to the side of someone instead of directly at them. This in turn causes people to get uncomfortable because the child is not making eye contact and they don't know why. So I encourage my son to work on making eye contact and I let any adults who we spend any time with know why he looks aside.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”