Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home therapy for stutter ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Home therapy for stutter ? Reply with quote

I'm new to this site but not to homeschooling. I much prefer to do things myself. Now my 3-y-o stutters and I was just letting her grow out of it, but it has started to affect her willingness to speak up at church and even at home. Has anyone here helped a child get rid of a stutter or stammer or does anyone whose child went through therapy for it know what the speech therapist did?

Thanks,
Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Home therapy for stutter ? Reply with quote

The following seems to offer a lot of useful advice:
http://www.coloradostutteringtherapy.com

Basically, reduce stress, don't allow interruptions or hurrying while she's speaking, give her verbal assignments in advance so she can practice on her own if necessary. If she has problems with certain words or sounds, suggest synonyms that she has an easier time with, or let her skip those words entirely and practice them on her own.

All of this is going to require a lot of practice on her part, though, just like you'd have to practice harder on writing if you had coordination troubles. The important thing is to allow her to get that practice, which means making sure she is allowed sufficient time to speak and not made fun of.
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another great site with lots of useful information.

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/

Look at the "For Parents" section on the left.

Theodore gives alot of basic, useful advice!

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
dragonfly183
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuttered when i was very young, sometimes the problem corrects itself. i can remember being three and struggling to get the words out. then one day it just suddenly stopped. it may fix itself.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son stutters. Although I homeschool I am allowed to set up appointments and take him to a speech therapist that works within the school system. I live in BC Canada and things may be much different here. I stopped this year as my son wasn't liking it.

The most important thing is something Theodore said..."don't allow interruptions or hurrying while she's speaking" My son hates it when people don't let him finish what he is trying to say. The only thing I really work at with him is eye contact. It is common for kids who stutter to look slightly to the side of someone instead of directly at them. This in turn causes people to get uncomfortable because the child is not making eye contact and they don't know why. So I encourage my son to work on making eye contact and I let any adults who we spend any time with know why he looks aside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: