internet homeschooling communities

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

andi
User

internet homeschooling communities

Postby andi » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Hello, I am a guest on this site with a question. I am a 39 year old college sophmore doing a research paper on internet communities. My question is this, how many homeschoolers out there using this site or any other homeschooling sites, feel they could do just as good a job teaching their students if it weren't for sites like these?
I am also a mother of a five year old little girl just starting in the public school system and I am very impressed with all that I have read concerning the homeschooling achievments or "success rate".
Thanks in advance ,
Andi

MNKristy
User

Postby MNKristy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:03 pm

I don't think I could do as good as a job....I have received so much help and support from internet communities. I have gotten great links, tips, and friendships.
Kristy

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids

Theodore

Personally, I can't imagine life without the Internet...

Postby Theodore » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:17 pm

Personally, I can't imagine life without the Internet :D There's just so many resources on every topic imaginable, that trying to do without the Internet would effectively use up months or years of your life.

In answer to your question, there are no major homeschool radio or TV shows (as far as I know - correct me if I'm wrong), and the circulations of all homeschool magazines put together comes to at most a few hundred thousand, so the remaining 2 million? or so homeschoolers (or anyone looking to start homeschooling) have to be using a different medium to stay in contact. In this case, probably email (email lists) and/or homeschool group web sites. Our site receives well over half a million visits yearly (or significantly more, depending how you calculate it) from people who hopefully find the information they're looking for. If they can't find it on our site, they can post here and we'll find it for them :)

Lindsey
User

Postby Lindsey » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:06 pm

I absolutely agree with the above comments. The internet communities or just internet in general is so important. You can get so many ideas and opinions on here of what people do/don't like that it saves you time and money, depending on what you are looking for. In my opinion it is just plain worthwhile for the support. If you have an extra challenging day you can look to here for a pick me up, everyone experiences close to the same thing as you and it's nice to have a reminder of that.
First Year Home Schooler and Mom to Three Wonderful Girls ages 6, 2, and 7mos.

SOPHIE
User

Internet usage

Postby SOPHIE » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:38 am

I'm just really glad that we can use the internet to get to know others with similar interests, and be able to help each other out with encouragement and practical links to help with specifics. Meeting folks on the internet is a great way to reach out into your community, a much broader community that just your own neighborhood.

Princess_Fyara
User

Actually

Postby Princess_Fyara » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:34 pm

There are forums for kids out there, but I don't know of any exclusively for Homeschoolers. I have been involved in foruming since I was 13. Most of the ones I've been a part of were run by Homeschoolers, and 70% or so of the members were Homeschooled as well. There are problems involved, but good adult management would help solve much of them. The hard part is having a neutral environment. A good portion of Homeschoolers, are Homeschooling for religious reasons. The denominations don't always mix well, and those who are Homeschooling for non-religious reasons, may not find it valuable to put up with the debates of the different sects. In other words, you would be hard pressed to make it exciting for all types of Homeschoolers if you weren't to allow heated debates, and expect to see 'cliques' forming.

cornopean
User

Re: internet homeschooling communities

Postby cornopean » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:14 pm

teenutter
User

Postby teenutter » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:09 pm

I hate to toot my own horn. The inter-net is great! I started home-schooling in 1992. We did not even own a typewriter much less a computer and I did a GREAT job with my little ones. When they went to private school and were tested to find their grade level in each subject they both tested on level or 1 - 2 years ahead. So my answer to to your question do I think I can do as good with out the internet is a resounding YES, It takes hard work and consistancy and yes it is possible.

Tina
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Prov. 22:6 NIV

Return to “Suggest a Topic”