Are their any online HS programs that make it easier? How?

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Would you home school your teenager?

Yes
96%
No
No votes
Maybe, if it was easy and affordable.
4%

Total votes: 23

Pasadena114
User

Are their any online HS programs that make it easier? How?

Postby Pasadena114 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:56 pm

I am interested in online High School programs. I would like to know which programs offer the best education and which ones offer the best features. If anyone could tell me the benefits of each program or the pros and cons of each that would be fantastic. I have done some research but everything is so overwhelming. I want to thank anyone who responds to this message.

jessesmom
User

Postby jessesmom » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Hello,

I found Home Sat with the Abeka program is nice. Not only do you get the subjects for the older child. The pros are the fact that you will be able to have arts and crafts shows and other fun shows for the other children in your home.

The cons are the fact you have to have a good reception day or it is rough requesting a missed class. You will have to record some of the classes at strange hours in the day or night and it starts to get irritating trying to preset the recorder for the correct classes to record.

The pro is the fact that your child can do live email to the teacher and actually watch the teacher answer that question to your child during the class time. Cool!!

Hope this helps.
Angela mom to 4 children,17,10,6, and my special early arrival with specail issues is 2yrs.

leapingfroglady
User

Online Biology for High School

Postby leapingfroglady » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:03 pm

I saw your interest in online courses. If you are interested, I can tell you more about my online Biology course that I began teaching 2 years ago. I've taught 50 students online but have taught homeschool teens now for 10 years. I also homeschool my four sons. If this is something you are interested in, you can email me at pvaldez121@satx.rr.com for more info.

:)

Dianne
User

High School / College Prep

Postby Dianne » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:39 pm

YES!! There is an easier way. I looked diligently, and desperately, for a program that would ensure the highest caliber of curriculum for my son who is entering 9th grade next year, and that would be accredited enough for any university to accept.

The last thing I want to go through is all the mounds of paperwork and portfolios that I hear other homeschoolers talk about. And, I figured, if I have to pay for an accredited curriculum then why not get the best?

The one we decided on is BYU's Distance Learning/High School Transcript program. They have two tracks to choose from, standard high school, and university prep. Naturally, we chose the university prep. But not until after I reviewed input from parents who are using the program. And luckily, my son's current math tutor knows some of the professors listed for the course and highly recommends it if we are going to continue to school at home.

Other logic for choosing BYU: My son would not have to take any additional tests other than what regular high schoolers have to take. He would not have to prepare any portfolio to get into BYU for college because BYU would have a 4-year record of his grades and transcripts. They wrote the program, they will accept the program. I do not have to prepare his lessons and worry if they are meeting the standards for university prep. BYU is fully accredited. The cost is about $1300 per year for all of the curriculum including textbooks, no additional fees. Regular state-mandated testing is included.

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:46 pm

There's also offline choices - like Switched On Schoolhouse that runs off of CD-ROM. :)

Josh
User

Postby Josh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:18 pm

I recommend (and use) SOS I can do my work offline on CDROm and then send my work via the internet to the Alpha Omega Academy to be graded and recorded etc. I can also get academic assistance. highly recommended
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. -Bierce

amanda
User

Postby amanda » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi Josh! How much would it cost for one year, 12th grade, SOS with Alpha Omega Academy ??

Thanks!

Return to “High School / College Prep”