7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lizardlaird
User

7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!!

Postby lizardlaird » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:05 am

I never thought I would need to homeschool my daughter until I moved to Hawaii. The schools here are so far behind that I have to get her out!!!

I have been reading about different curiculums for a week now. I am so confused and scared. Could someone please answer some questions.

I really want to use a dvd hs program... and Abeka looks appealing. I have heard that they end up doing a LOT of work, and that it is very hard. Is this true? I also heard that returning work can be a pain.

How long do you spend watching the Dvd's? How long do you spend burried in a book? How long on paperwork.... etc, etc, etc....

Do you have to submit a lot of "extra" stuff? Like book reports, projects, essays... etc, etc, etc...

If anyone uses this curiculum for a 7th grader please fill me in.

Also, if there are any other complete curiculums that offer a dvd program please let me know. I was looking for something less religious!!!

If you have any positive, or negative experiences with Abeka (or a similar program) please share it with me. I would really appreciate it.

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:00 am

If you are on the island of Maui, you can try this program. It should be free through the school system. Though since it is the middle of the year, you may have to wait to use the free program until the start of the next school year.

http://www.k12.com/options/dlp_participating.html

There is alot of work involved. But you should have all the materials to do the grading yourself. I am done with two students (if following the course work for 4 subjects) within 4 hours. My children are advancing quickly with this program.

The Christian school in our town uses A Beka. I have heard the children are much more advanced then the local public school kids. But here, that isn't hard to do on either front :lol:

lizardlaird
User

Postby lizardlaird » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:23 pm

I am on Oahu.

Ramona
User

Re: 7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!!

Postby Ramona » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:41 am

Hi!

I feel for you because I don't see you getting answers to your questions. I don't have good answers, but I wanted to tell you something.

I've been hearing for many years that Hawaii schools are behind.

When I started HS'ing I also thought the A Beka videos looked appealing. I ended up going a different way though. I don't know how much work A Beka is or how hard it is. Personally I like hard. My kids don't usually spend a lot of time working on schoolwork, but they do have a very rigorous curriculum. I like them to start young and be about a year or two ahead of where they would be if they were in public school.

I don't know anything about returning work to A Beka.

As a homeschooling mom, I do spend quite a bit of time on prep work. This is not due to meeting requirements, but because I want to be sure my kids are getting what I want them to get.

I don't have a 7th-grader this year.

I hope someone who knows answers to one or more of your questions might speak up.

Ramona

elliemaejune
User

Re: 7th grade curiculum, need help NEWBIE!!!!

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:29 pm

elishajane
User

Postby elishajane » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 pm

Elisha

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:00 am

Return to “Getting Started”