Home Schoolers in NY

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

CG83
User

Home Schoolers in NY

Postby CG83 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:07 pm

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 pm

This is Home School Legal Defense Association's analysis of NY law.

NY law is kind of fussy, but people tend to make it more difficult than it is. I don't live in NY, but I have friends who do. Here are some things they have suggested (as well as the dates for filing the NOI and IHIP):

1. You file your initial Notice of Intent (NOI) by July 1.

2. You file your Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) by August 15.

3. Notice that the IHIP can be "Plan of instruction." This means you don't have to list all the textbooks or other materials that you're using. You can describe what you intend to do, using lots of words without being specific: teach the required subjects according to the children's abilities, using a variety of materials and methods, including but not limited to textbooks, community resources, multi-media.

4. You have to choose dates for your quarterly reports. Choose dates which don't coincide with major holidays such as Christmas. :-)

5. Your quarterly reports can be your IHIP, just reworded a bit: "Orkie has shown appropriate progress in [list subject]." You have to include the number of hours. Divide the required hours for the year by 4, and list each quarter's hours on that quarterly report.

My strong recommendation is that you join HSLDA, as they're the only ones who can give you actual legal advice. :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

CG83
User

Postby CG83 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Thank you so much. This actually does help cause I had heard about the laws for NY and I was getting kinda scared lol. And what do you mean Join the HSLAD? Do I need legal advise? Should I get some?

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

CG83
User

Postby CG83 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Return to “Getting Started”