Starting Homeschooling for a 9th Grader

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

writergurl68
User

Starting Homeschooling for a 9th Grader

Postby writergurl68 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:43 pm

My son is currently a freshman in the 9th grade. He has an ineffective IEP. Instead of continuously battling with the public school, I have decided to homeschool him. Any words of advice for starting at this late age? Everything I've read online and in print seems geared toward starting in the pre-K or early elementary years. Any advice, resources, or even a "you're doing the right thing" would be greatly appreciated! :)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:26 pm

Let your son help you, let him know that you will make the ultimate decision, but let him in on the decision making conversations. This is his education. And, YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!!! :D
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:10 am

Check out Homeschooling, The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18-Year-Old by Cafi Cohen. Great book!
Last edited by Ramona on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:25 pm

Ron Armendariz
User

How is it going?

Postby Ron Armendariz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:13 pm

Hello may we ask how is homeschool working out for you?
I have recently started with our 9th grader, he was not getting the work done or the attention needed in a class setting with 40 other students, so we decided to homeschool. I too found it difficult finding info on starting late as opposed from K-3rd grade.
Thanks Ron
Trust in the Lord with all your heart lean not to your own understanding in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6

phil-pod
User

Postby phil-pod » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:08 pm

I, as a 13 year old 8th grader, think that a student is better off being homeschooled. I was in public school for all my life until this year. The teachers were rude and didn't care if they were teaching it right or not (as long as they got there pay check! :P ) Your son should enjoy it. I had trouble adjusting to it, but I have alot of friends that have had the same problem as me. Just tell your son that he will make alot of friends, and that he will have a much better education.
~*Hannah*~

I love Gerard Way from MCR!!!

Nikki
User

Great Job!

Postby Nikki » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:03 pm

It's not about where you've been, It's about where your GOING!

Return to “High School / College Prep”