How to withdraw 1 child, leave younger one in SAME PS?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dkatiemom
User

How to withdraw 1 child, leave younger one in SAME PS?

Postby dkatiemom » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:23 pm

Hope anyone has some advice for me!

My 7 year-old has always had great difficulty in public school, more so when we moved to a new school district. His teachers all but give-up on him, complaining that he does not stay on task and has a hard time completing work independently.
From the moment we step on campus in the mornings, he has a noticeable change in posture and demeanor and becomes very insecure and quiet, alternately wanting to hold my hand and pushing me away (because a child might see).
His teacher now complains almost daily that my son is a bully, either putting his hands on other children or calling people names. His side is that he is being picked on and lashing out, although he won't really discuss much with me.
My son is WAAAAY too young to be going down this path. If the teachers are going to pass him by, I feel like it is my responsibility to pick him up and nurture him back to where he should be.
My 4 year-old attends the same school and thrives. I would not want to take him out of school because he is having a ball and doing VERY well because of it. I just want to homeschool my 7 year-old because it seems like the perfect solution for his needs and the problems he is having with PS.
I love the school, but am coming to see more and more than hs would be a lifesaver for my child.

How should I go about withdrawing him for hs, while my other little boy still attends the school? I hear many stories on this board and others that make me think that often, school staff do not react well to a withdrawal of this nature. I do not want my younger son to experience any fall-out.

Do you think it is a good idea to tell them my intentions for my 7 year-old and make sure they understand that I think they are a fantastic school (which they are)? How do I do this? I am SOOOO nervous. They seem like wonderful people. I actually petitioned last year to have him transferred TO this school because my 4 y.o. was thriving so much.

It is clear to me that my son's problems are not specific to one school, but the operating methods of the PS system itself. I just don't know how to break the ties without burning bridges.

p.s.- Don't know if this matters, but we live in Texas. I also have a severely autistic son who thrives in a separate ps program.

Thank you for reading this!! :)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:00 pm

I almost left my younger son when I tool out the older and the school thought that the reasons I had for taking out the older were fine so they were not prejudiced against us in any way. My younger son however didn't want to stay, he wanted to come home and spend time with mom too. Talk to the school and talk to your sons. Explain your position and see what happens.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:09 pm

You do it very carefully :-o

Texas is an excellent state for homeschooling because of the 1994 Leeper court case. Legally, all you have to do is take your dc out of school...period.

But even in "good" states there can be trouble. I would suggest that you plan to take him out at Thanksgiving. On Monday, November 30, you call the school and tell them that he will not be coming back because you are homeschooling. Don't ask permission, don't agree to filling out any forms. Just be all sweetness and light. You can tell them that you've considered everything and you believe that hsing will be best for him, but don't give too much information or agree to anything. You are only notifying the school so that no one will think your ds is truant.

I have to say that I would recommend joining HSLDA. Good homeschool law or not, HSLDA (and the Texas state group, Texas Home School Coalition) is kept busy dealing with contacts from ignorant school officials (and others).

dragonfly183
User

homeschooling 1 child

Postby dragonfly183 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:53 pm

FLMom
User

Postby FLMom » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:32 am

I withdrew my 10 y/o and left the 7 y/o at PS. I have had NO problems with the school, the teachers, the staff, the district, or anyone. I went beyond the call of duty and explained to the staff as to why the oldest was being withdrawn and why the youngest was to remain, so that there would be no question or residual backlash to my son.

The only problems we have encountered is at home with our son, he feels as if he isn't as special because he's still in school. He will be brought home next year.

Good luck.

Return to “Getting Started”