Looking for 9th grade literature guide

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Desertway
User

Looking for 9th grade literature guide

Postby Desertway » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi,

I just joined the forums. We have been homeschooling my daughter for three weeks.

I'm looking for a literature course that is focused on analysis. She is doing a separate course in composition and mechanics, so extended writing assignments are not what I'm after. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Jodi

isamama
User

Postby isamama » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:10 am

Are you looking for literature guides to accompany particular novels/books your daughter is reading? If so Progeny Press (Christian based), Garlic Press, Portals to Literature, Discovering Literature Series, and Teacher Created materials offer analysis. Rainbow resource has a lot of lit guides.

Portals Huckleberry Finn covers: comprehension/thinking skills, literary appreciation, vocabulary, and writing. The writing exercises are easy to skip or short if you did them. For example, Compose an ad for a short film based on the novel, predict outcomes, a paragraph which includes motifs found in novel, or write a sequel to Huckleberry Finn Otherwise there is a lot of analyzing & interpretting.

If it is a full curriculum you are looking for I investigated Abeka's and they looked pretty good, only my dd16 prefers to choose what books she reads and when, so we take the lit guide route.
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

Desertway
User

Postby Desertway » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 pm

Thanks! The Portals series looks like what I'm after. Much appreciated!

Jodi

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”