Unit Studies Overseas?

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ccmmum
User

Unit Studies Overseas?

Postby ccmmum » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:42 am

I am really attracted to the idea of unit studies, but we live overseas. I don't have access to a library or to many of the supplies that are readily available in America. Other than the Konos In a Box , what other options are there? I'm thinking mainly along the Junior high range as my girls are 11 and 9.
Also I can's get www.konos.com to work! I really wanted to look at some samples!
Alisa

Theodore

Here's some other unit study options:

Postby Theodore » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:40 pm

Here's some other unit study options:

http://www.home-school.com/mall/curriculum/unitstudies.html

The KONOS site works ok for me, but I notice that they're using Java or something for the header menu, so that may be what's giving you problems. What OS / browser are you using??

ccmmum
User

Postby ccmmum » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:34 pm

I'm using Internet explorer. Would that make a differnce?

Thanks for the link-I will check it out.

Theodore

Hmm, IE should work fine:

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Mary Pride
User

Try an encyclopedia!

Postby Mary Pride » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:41 pm

An inexpensive CD-ROM encyclopedia, which contains the equivalent of 20 volumes or more of a print encyclopedia, can substitute for your missing library for the purpose of unit studies. I've seen "old" versions (just 1 year out of date) for sale for $9.95.

Again, online encyclopedias, such as Wikipedia, and simple Google searches can add lots of in-depth info on any subject you wish to pursue via unit studies.

The point of unit studies is just to find out as much as you can THAT INTERESTS YOUR CHILD about a topic. So teaching the child to look up things online and in an encyclopedia is a great start!

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”