Helpful hints needed re: telling husband about HS desires

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

BabyCatcher
User

Helpful hints needed re: telling husband about HS desires

Postby BabyCatcher » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 pm

I am researching HS for our three children. I think it's best that I tell my husband about my desires, so that he and I can do this together. I was wondering if any of you experienced HSing parents can help me think of things to tell my husband. I know that the biggest thing for him will be that we won't have to pay tuition for three children who are now in private school. Beyond that I need help organizing my thoughts on the benefits of HSing. Any ones advice is very much appreciated :)
Baby Catcher

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:16 pm

More control over curriculum, you can follow your own schedule, you can get better results, and yes, it does cost a lot less than private school :) I'm personally an advocate of year-round schooling, which allows you to cover more material in a year with less work per day (3 hours at most probably). The rest of the time can be spent on subjects your children enjoy, extracurriculars, field trips, etc. - whatever your schedule allows. Homeschooling means there's no time wasted sitting in class while the teacher answers questions you already know the answer to, and you don't have to stay at the same grade level in each subject, so you can advance far ahead in the subjects you're good at while staying at the minimum required level in the subjects you hate.

If you look at our Homeschool vs Public School area, you'll see a fair number of threads that are also applicable to homeschool vs private school.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:16 pm

Great answer Theodore. Another benefit I am finding is that my children are more creative. I am able to spend one on one time with my sons and let them dictate to me a story or poem and they can be so much more creative than if they have to write it themselves. Tey are 7 and 8 and have hard time with writing. THis is a benefit that even a private school can't boast, they just don't have the time or staff.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

BabyCatcher
User

Postby BabyCatcher » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:13 pm

I talked with my husband and he's game on researching HSing further which is AWESOME...a total blessing from God. Four years ago he wanted nothing to do with it. Now.... where to start, where to start..... :?
Baby Catcher

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 pm

If Hubby is interested in it, find out how interested. . . how involved in this research does he want to be? Does he enjoy reading? If so, Lisa Whelchel's book would be a great start, so he can see the plethora of options available (he won't feel boxed in to one type he might have in mind).

If not, perhaps you could see if your local library carries hs magazines. Sometimes these highlight celebreties that have been/are being hsed. This can go a long way to opening doors in his mind.

Or, you could research yourself and give him your 3 best curricula/style options. Then, he could help you look into those 3 a little deeper, so he knows what's going on.
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:52 pm

There are so many resources available for homeschooling information. Michael Farris, co-founder of the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) has written several books. You'll find them at www.hslda.org. Other authors are Debra Bell, Dr. Ruth Beechick, Raymond and Dorothy Moore, David and Micki Colfax, Mary Hood, and John Holt.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:37 pm

Don't forget Mary Pride, owner of this site and author of The Way Home, All the Way Home, Schoolproof, Pride's Guide to Educational Software, four editions of The Big Book of Home Learning, and now Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Homeschooling.

Return to “Getting Started”