Louisiana Homeschool

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bigj164019
User

Louisiana Homeschool

Postby bigj164019 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:38 am

We are strongly considering Homeshooling my 9 y/o son.
Due to ADHD and severe behavioral problems, including violence.

Need info to get started.

Do I understand that it is best to notify DOE of private school status instead of requesting home school status?

Thanks

Theodore

Yes, the private school option is probably easier in LA:

Postby Theodore » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:53 pm

Looks like it. Signing up for either isn't that difficult initially, but renewing the home study program requires proving advancement of at least one grade level per year, which means standardized testing, a letter from a certified teacher, or a detailed and witnessed portfolio of work. Renewing the private school only requires sending an updated version of the initial letter.

See www.chefofla.org (the Frequently Asked Questions section)

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:13 am

That is a great site that Theodore directed you to reading. I am a member of that group in NE Louisiana.

One thing to be aware of with the difference between the two options in Louisiana is that if your child is in a home private school from 9th grade to graduation, they are not eligiable for TOPS. If you want your child eligible for that program at some point in time to go on to college (it is a scholarship/aide program through the state), your child will have to be tested in the 8th grade and at graduation. They also have to be enrolled at that time in the home study program rather then the homebased private school. But that is a long way off. I just wanted you to be aware of that little glitch in the rules.

Our particular CHEF group has certain individuals who are certified to give one of the standerdized tests. Off the top of my head I can't remember which one it is, I think it is the California test.

We choose the homestudy program, because of the above. Also as our president from our group said to me, "I don't have anything to hide in testing my children. I am teaching them and the test will prove it." But it really doesn't matter until 8-9th grade. The private school option until then is much much less intrusive by the state.

Return to “Homeschool Law”