Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Homeschooling NEED help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babyblueeyes
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Problems with Homeschooling NEED help Reply with quote

I have been homeschooling my daughter on the same books she was using in public school for this year. The problem is... I don't have the answers to grade her work. Another problem I'm having is in math because I really lack understanding alot of it anymore so I can't really explain it to her. Does anyone know if I could get the teacher's editions for these books and do they have such available in bookstores?
I also need to know how many hours are required to teach your child a day. I've been doing 6 to 8 hours with her, but she sleeps in late in the mornings and cannot get done before bedtime so all of that school work is driving her a bit crazy. I also have no idea whatsoever how many assignments I should be giving her a day. If you haven't guessed, I am really quite new to this. Her report card would have been given to her from her public school at the end of this month but she was withdrawed from that school on Oct 18. Does anyone know if they will still give her a report card even though she was withdrawn before they were issued? She is really having a hard time doing all this work and homeschooling both and I just don't want to make her finish it if it's not required. At this moment, she's only got about 1/2 of her work turned in and only has a few days left to do the other 1/2 of it.. I'd just hate to put her through that if it's not necessary. Thanks in advance!!!
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused....What grade is your daughter in? What math are you using? What do you mean,"having a hard time doing all this work and homeschooling both and I just don't want to make her finish it if it's not required."? I don't understand. What exactly is she doing?

As for how long....I just sorted all our work out, split it up in sections, figured out how much time we would need to do it, then that gave me an idea of how much work we need to do each week. Its not exact but it gave me a general idea so I know we aren't falling behind schedule. I'd say we do 4 - 5 hours most days. I'm teaching grades 2 and 5. Hope this helps a bit.
babyblueeyes
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Problems with Homeschooling NEED help Reply with quote

My daughter was enrolled in public school until just recently. When she first started missing, I did not get her homework as I had no idea she was going to end up with school phobia and not go back. I was approved to homeschool her just last week. She hasn't been in school much at all so she's having to make up all of her classwork for 4 subjects and there has been an extreme amount of it. And then I have to make sure she does enough work for homeschooling too, or at least hoping she is. It's really just too much. Her science & social studies teacher just gave her the work about a week & half ago from all the way back to August. I left notes with her teachers asking if I could bring her in to make up all the tests she missed and they didn't call so I guess she can't. I am awaiting for her assignments for two classes which is going to be another month's worth of work. I'm starting to get some progess with her for social studies but we haven't even tempted to start science. But she was taken out of social studies and science classes about a month ago when she started doing homebound, she was only required to go to school for English and math after that. Report cards from her school come out on Thursday. I am just wondering if she'll get a report card since she's not enrolled with them anymore. My concern is simply if she was to ever decide she wanted to enroll back into her school.... Because if she does, and fails this report card, that would set her a grade behind and I really don't want to see that. But I don't want to work her to death either.. She's in 6th grade and we are working in the book: Connected Mathematics 2 (Prentice Hall), year 2006. I'm having my problem with fractions. For the life of me, I can't even remember how to add them up. Actually I still don't know how much work I should give her. I'd like to have a book that would tell what you should do with them every week so she won't fall behind in her studies. This is basically what we've been doing since Friday. We read two stories from her literature book and then review what was read, she then works on the words & definitions in that story. I have her to write a journal every day. Then I give her anywhere from 2 to 4 assignments in her grammer book. That's for the homeschool part, the work's doubled when she's doing homework from her public school. I also gave her 20 spelling words & had her to make sentences with them. Today, I gave her a practice test. In math, I've worked with her on factors and fractions, 1-2 pages a day... But I can't help her with the fraction problems when she asks. I am now making up a worksheet for her to do for math but I'd prefer her doing math out of her text. In social studies, we got the 1st chapter read, and she's done about 6 pages of worksheets on it. We haven't even tempted the Science yet.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Homeschooling NEED help Reply with quote

I think I would stop doing all the public school catch-up work if it were my daughter. I would assume that as a homeschooled child she can do at least as well and learn at least as fast as the public school would expect to happen so she could go in at the "right" grade level if she ever went back.

I once heard a lecturer say 45 minutes per day per subject is enough. My 6th-graders have sometimes taken longer than that on some lessons, but most of them they finish much faster than that. If you're doing the 4 basic subjects per day (English, math, social studies, science) then that's 3 hours of school.

Also, in my family we only do those subjects Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. My kids are at least up to their grade levels and usually a year or two ahead after years and years of doing academics only 3 days a week. It's possible to get a lot covered in a little time when you're working one-on-one or independently instead of in a class of 30 kids.

Did you post a question on fractions in the math bulletin board? Someone here could show you how to add them. IMHO adding fractions is harder than multiplying them.

Yes, there are teacher editions available in bookstores, also online catalogs, homeschool used-book fairs, etc.

HTH,
Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have two fractions in the form a/b + c/d, you add them using the formula (ad + cb) / bd. In other words, if you want to add 3/7 and 2/3, you'd do (3*3 + 2*7) / 7*3, which is (9 + 14) / 21, which is 23/21.
babyblueeyes
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to explain fractions ... but now I'm even more confused than I was before. No I didn't post but I've talked to someone who's going to help me understand it. I also searched online and found some workbooks and teacher's guides on amazon.com. I got 2 teacher's editions, a literature book and 4 workbooks for about $60. I was able to get most of what I needed from just that website. Thanks everybody!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I suppose it might be simpler to look at it from the standpoint of changing both fractions so the bottoms are the same and you can add the tops. If you have 3/7 and 2/3, then 21 is the smallest number that both 7 and 3 (the two bottom numbers) go into. You therefore want to change both fractions so 21 is on the bottom, so you multiply the first fraction by 3/3 and get 9/21, and you mutiply the second by 7/7 and get 14/21. Then you add 9/21 and 14/21 and get 23/21.

In case anyone was wondering, my brain needed a rest, and math is fun Smile
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
my brain needed a rest, and math is fun

LOL! You're too funny, Theodore.

On behalf of ordinary folks who aren't math geniuses, let me just say that you aren't breaking this down into anywhere near small enough steps. Very Happy
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agh! Ok, I guess it might help then if I explained that you can multiply both the top and bottom of a fraction by the same number without changing its value. For instance, if you have a fraction 3/7, and you want to get it so 21 is on the bottom, you can multiply both the top and bottom by 3 to get 9/21. You can also divide the top and bottom by the same number.

You can also add any two fractions that have the same number on the bottom by adding the two numbers on the top and leaving the bottom alone. For instance, 9/21 + 14/21 = (9 + 14)/21 = 23/21

So the basic process for adding two fractions is:

1. Figure out the smallest number for the bottom that all bottom numbers divide cleanly into. For instance, if you have three fractions 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4, the smallest number that 2, 3, and 4 all go into is 12.

2. Change all the fractions so they have that number on the bottom. You do this by multiplying the top and bottom of each fraction by some number that results in the bottom being the number you want. In this case, you'd multiply 1/2 by 6/6 to get 6/12, 1/3 by 4/4 to get 4/12, and 1/4 by 3/3 to get 3/12.

3. Add the tops and leave the bottom the same. In this case, you'd be adding 6/12, 4/12, and 3/12, so (6 + 4 + 3)/12 = 13/12

4. If possible, simplify the result by dividing the top and bottom by some number. In this case, 13/12 can't be simplified, but if for instance you had 8/12, you could simplify by dividing both the top and bottom by 4 to get 2/3.

I can't really make it any simpler than this, I don't know how Smile
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better! Very Happy

Still too long--too much stuff at once--for ordinary folks. Looks like a sea of numbers that we're drowning in.

But definitely a massive improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: