Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from WV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countryheart
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Hello from WV Reply with quote

HI from Southern WV! Very Happy I just made the decision to homeschool my two youngest children, b-14, and g-10 (first one graduated high school in '05). I made this decision because I am so unhappy with our local schools. Our district high school goes from 5th through 12th grades, and it isn't a Christian school. My daughter is now in 'high school' at age 10, and her class has definately gotten the 'bighead' thinking they are high schoolers. Name calling is abundant, and they don't even know what the names mean at this age (most of them don't anyhow) My daughter asked me "Mom, what is a slut?? cause Tessa called me that today". I about freaked out. That's not the only reason though. My oldest son graduated with a 3.8 average from this school, he decided to go to college and had to take an assessment test because his last testing was in 10th grade (not sure what happened there) but he did really poorly on this test and was told he needed to go to the GED center and take classes for Math and English. Why didn't I know he didn't know math and english you ask? Because this school is on the 'block schedule' and they have enough time to do homework in class, and they never send home graded papers anymore, so I never hardly saw any papers come home at all. His progress reports indicated that he was doing great, so I thought he was. He is in college now, but he hasn't attempted the math and english yet. So, now on to the younger ones. My daughter asked me to help her with a math assignment, multiplying double digits. I was doing three things at one time and told her to go ask her brother for help. I found out that night that HE didn't know his multiplication tables. At 14 years old. He had been in the IEP (Individualized Education Program, basically special education, just a prettier name for those who can't handle being told their child needs 'special ed'), since 3rd grade. He was tested at the end of the 6th grade and we were told he could go into regular classes the next year because he progressed so well. He did, and seemed to do fine. Then we had the multiplication episode, and I tested him on other things. He didn't know division, of course, and a lot of other things he should. The thing is, last year he had Geometry and Applied Math I. This year he has Pre-algebra and is lost. He basically missed so much from the 3rd through the 7th grade. Don't know what they did in IEP either, they kept all work in folders at school and I never saw anything until conferences, and then they showed me some, I guess to satisfy my questioning on that. Long story short on my daughter.....had trouble in math in 3rd grade, tutored her during summer between 3rd and 4th, she did great in 4th grade. She is in the 5th now and again, no homework or work to show me how or what she is doing. I'm realllly tired of that, and I NEED to see their progress or they will be in the same boat my oldest son is now. So now, here we are, and we are crossing the road into homeschooling and I feel good about it. And so do the kids. I thought I'd have trouble with my daughter (she's a socialite), but she is on board, too. Wish me luck, and I'll be checking in regularly. I have a huge question though, but not sure if I should post here or on another topic, but I've been on so many web sites about homeschooling, and I'm just so confused as to what kind of curriculum I can get. I want something I can use for both of them, and I'd like to have something that tells me what to do, with the basic subjects all together in one package deal. My brain is on overload, I need recommendations. I can't pay an outrageous price, and I don't want anything complicated in deciding what I need to order. I don't want to use the PS curriculum if I can avoid it. And I need info ASAP, I want to get started in the next couple of weeks, so I need to get my stuff together. Thanks for any help and nice to meet you all and be a part of your forum! God Bless.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get your questions answered here!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out http://amblesideonline.org

They have an almost totally free curriculum. Uses lots of downloadable stuff and library books. I think it's excellent.
countryheart
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Thank you to Ramona and Lenethren Reply with quote

Thank you Ramona and Lenethren. Ramona I will check out the web site for the free curriculum! Smile Thank you for helping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: