2 very important ?'s.Records and letting the schoool know...

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

goodgirlquin
User

2 very important ?'s.Records and letting the schoool know...

Postby goodgirlquin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:32 am

In my state we do not have to keep records but I am going to each year in case anyone ever questions me.How do I go about doing this? Is a treachers lesson planner enough doc.?Writting what was done daily and the grades in it.With dates and page assigments.

2nd how do I go about telling the school.We are not coming back? Do I need to or what is coreect here?

Thanks so much,
Christina

Theodore

You'll need to send a Letter of Intent:

Postby Theodore » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:14 pm

You'll need to let the school board know initially that you're going to be homeschooling, by sending them a Letter of Intent. The information you're required to supply in the letter can vary from state to state, however, as well as the additional legal requirements such as testing, record-keeping, etc., so it would probably be helpful to let us know what state you're in.

As for record-keeping, a weekly summary of material covered, with any applicable grades, should be sufficient. Once you get into high school material, you can also take standardized tests - AP, CLEP, or DANTES - rather than keep records, which I highly recommend both for simplicity's sake and for potential college credit.

goodgirlquin
User

I am in Oklahoma.....

Postby goodgirlquin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:01 pm

We are lucky it is very relaxed here.

Thanks for your replies your are always answering ?'s.

Christina

Theodore

Looks like you're right, Oklahoma is pretty relaxed...

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:24 pm

http://www.oklahomahomeschooling.org/oklahoma.htm

Looks like you're right, Oklahoma is pretty relaxed. It's up to the family (or if the worst happens, a jury) to decide what constitutes private instruction in good faith. You don't have to follow a set schedule or even a certain minimum number of hours - even the public school system only requires 3 hours of one-on-one instruction per week for their homebound program. There also doesn't seem to be any testing or (formal) record-keeping requirements, though in my opinion testing your children every year or two doesn't hurt anything, so long as you're not required to give the results to the state.

Return to “Getting Started”