What activities should I be doing with my children?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

joyandscott
User

Activities for 18 month & 4 month old?

Postby joyandscott » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:32 am

Hi June!,
I'm a mother of an 18 month old and a 4 month old. What activities should I be doing with my children to get them ready for formal education? I'm definitely going out TODAY to my local Homeshool Store to purchase your book "Slow and Steady Get Me Ready". I'm so glad to have gotten this information through the E-mag of Practical Homeschool. :D

June R Oberlander

Postby June R Oberlander » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:43 pm

Dear Joy,

There are many phases of preschool readiness in order for you to prepare your children for formal learning in school. It is important to keep in mind that the goal in teaching readiness skills is to strive to develop the total child.

I note that you have very young children. Naturally their attention
span is very short . The goal here is to strive to gradually increase the attention span of each child. Keep in mind that very young children (0-5) learn best through play. However the form of "play" should be age appropriate, meaningful and on the child's developmental level. Too much structure will quickly turn learning in to work and frustration! It can also cause behavior problems if you expect too much at a given time.

The book "Slow and Steady Get Me Ready" contains ideas that are easy to do. They simple and meaningful activities that tell what to do, when, how and why. The following developmental skills are interspersed throughout the book. They are: visual, auditory, fine motor, gross motor, tactile, problem solving, language arts, simple math and science, etc. Art/creativity, music, finger plays, and other movements are also important as well as the child's social and emotional development.

If you do have the book Slow and Steady, then turn to the back of the book and you will find a simple checklist guide that will enable you to determine or assess your children's development thus far. Check off the skills each child has mastered and dwell on the ones they need to develop. The book is arranged so that you can pick and choose by age which skills you work on with your children. It can be any time of the day especially when the child seems to be looking for something to do.

I hope this information will help you. Enjoy the thrill of being a parent as you interact and watch them grow and learn.

Contact me again if you have further question.

Good Luck to you.
June Oberlander

joyandscott
User

THANK YOU!

Postby joyandscott » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:14 pm

June,
Thank you for the information concerning the developmental index at the back of your book. I just got back from town, where I bought your book. I've just glanced through it and EVERY page has a new idea to help my children. Thank you so much. I look forward to using this book everyday.

Joy :)

tahirabs2
User

Postby tahirabs2 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:32 pm

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”