Budgeting, planning, saving, etc....

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Miyu
User

Budgeting, planning, saving, etc....

Postby Miyu » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:23 pm

Ramona
User

Re: Budgeting, planning, saving, etc....

Postby Ramona » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:00 pm

Last edited by Ramona on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:42 am

My boys have a savings account and they have to learn how to put money in the bank and balance the account with the bank statment. I'm not so good with meals either so I can't help with that. I hope I helped a little.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Regina Hogsten

Budgeting, Planning, Saving...

Postby Regina Hogsten » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:40 pm

FLMom
User

Postby FLMom » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Here is what I did when I started weight watchers and could never figure out what to make for meals. I offer this because I think it might help in your situation as well.

I stared out with a 3x5 box and index cards. I wrote down every recipe I could find that pertained to WW and sorted them by meal type.
(Dinner, breakfast, quick...) You can just write down all the meals that you, or your husband, normally cook, and then add some more for experimentation.

I would grab a weeks worth of meals, write out my grocery list from the recipe cards, and then place them in the front of the box. This way when it comes time for dinner, you have the stuff to make it and don't have to decide what to make. It also makes shopping a ton easier.

Because I was making WW meals and my family was being tortured with them; I added a comment on the back as to whether my kids/hubby liked it.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:50 pm

These are helpful suggestions. I might take the idea of the cards and write out breakfast, lunch meals, and snacks for one of my sons. He is learning about and trying to live a nutritious and fitness lifestyle. This is challenging with so many obstacles (one being rheumatoid arthirits). If I make up the cards with nutrition information, it will be easier for him to make better choices. Any more good ideas?

KLynneL
User

Postby KLynneL » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:37 pm

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:16 pm

I have a grid that I make out. My kids and I shop the same time every week - Friday mornings. I plan out what will be for breakfast, lunch and dinner on each day. I generally follow it pretty closely but I allow myself to switch a meal or two if I feel more like eating tacos rather than chili or something. We only eat meat once a week here too so meals are a LOT faster. I don't have to remember to thaw meat or take the time to cook it before I can continue with dinner. I make my grocery list off that meal plan. Our big problem was me not feeling like making dinner at the end of a long day so we'd go out to eat a lot....too much and it's a killer on the pocketbook. This meal plan and getting rid of most of the meat in our diet has helped tremendously since I know I won't be spending an hour in the kitchen and there's little question about what's for dinner.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”