4th Grader Needs Math Help!

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

als907
User

4th Grader Needs Math Help!

Postby als907 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 pm

I am homeschooling my 9 year old this year. She is in fourth grade. My husband and I decided to that homeschooling was the best thing as we did not feel she was getting what she needed from school. So anyway my problem is that even though she has my one on one attention she is still struggling with Math. It doesn't matter how many times we go over it or how many problems we work together it just doesn't seem to sink in. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that may help. And also what Math you think is better. I purchased the Saxon Math 5/4 because that is what they use in our public school but she seems lost for the most part. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Kelly

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Hi,
I just posted a request about math myself. I was going to choose the miquon math, but noticed that everyone is using Saxon!? I read up on the Miquon math and the curriculum includes lots of manipulatives! I thought that would be a lot of fun instead of the boring textbooks. It comes with cuisenaire rods and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe your daughter would benefit seeing and doing along with the textbooks? Just a thought.
Suzy:)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:09 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

als907
User

Postby als907 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:28 pm

I will check into that math. She seems to be stuggling with the basic addition and subtracting if the problems contain alot of numbers. I have been using flashcards and have been lookin for some games that might help. It just seems that what we learn today she has forgotten by tomorrow. She does really well with everything else except math.
Kelly

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:14 pm

You will find out eventually what works with her. it's such a learning process with us all, but it'll come to her, you'll see.
Good luck!

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:29 pm

Another thing that helps my memory challenged son, is the What's wrong, and what changed activities. THese help to organize facts. Another thing that helps is songs. If you can put it to music the brain can store it differently and it can be more easily retrieved. Sara Jordan has some great songs for math facts.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Ramona
User

Not everyone is doing Saxon

Postby Ramona » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:17 pm

I never used Saxon. My son has been homeschooled throughout his life and he's now starting 12th grade. He just got a 20 on the Math ACT this summer. He's starting computer programming.

I never bought a math curriculum. We based our homeschooling on the Core Knowledge Series of books through 6th grade and since then he's been using some basic algebra and trig books and stuff DH and I come up with.

When my kids were little I decided I didn't want to buy manipulatives. We used Legos for addition and subtraction and marbles for multiplication and division.

Ramona

Lenethren
User

Re: Not everyone is doing Saxon

Postby Lenethren » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:05 am

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

AnnetteR
User

Postby AnnetteR » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:36 pm

LisaMKH
User

Postby LisaMKH » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:04 pm

You bought Saxon math because that is what they used at the public schoo, yet, you homeschool because you felt the public school was not doing a good job educating her. So you must have assumed it was just the teachers and not just the books they were using?

My dd is a genius at math. My dd's IQ so far has been immeasureably high. She now takes the ITBS at 2 grade levels ahead and still scores 99th percentile in math. It is her best best subject. But if she tried to do Saxon, I am certain there would be daily tears. I doubt she would have gotten to where she is.

I am going to highly recommend Math-U-See for your daughter. Other programs worth considering are BJU Math, Singapore Math, and Rightstart math.

SciMom
User

Postby SciMom » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:48 am

It sounds to me like your daughter is behind a bit, maybe back up and do Saxon 3 instead of 5/4. We are using Saxon this year and I have used other programs in the past including Singapore, I would definately NOT NOT NOT advise Singapore for your daughter. It's definately a good program, but requires starting from the beginning to be able to work the problems with their methods and it requires a LOT of supplements in the early grades. I tried to use it from the beginning with my youngest but there was way too much teaching and not enough practice or emphasis on memorization of facts. If you tried to start her on Singapore 4th grade she would probably be more lost than she is now.

My son likes Saxon, the first 50 lessons or so, which only took us about 4 weeks to do, was a lot of review, but now that we're into it it's much better.

Like another poster said, ALL math programs should be supplemented with something. I like Wrap-ups and Calculaddars for drills.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”