Desperate For Help

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:22 am

LadyBlue
User

Postby LadyBlue » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:42 am

When you are down to nothing,
God is up to something.

sherimc
User

Postby sherimc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:08 am

LadyBlue
User

Postby LadyBlue » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:51 am

Well, the school just made me so mad yesterday, that I withdrew him. I had gone to a homeschool bookstore earlier in the day to look around and get some advice/ideas. I purchased Livepac--the Language Arts & Math & figured I'd go back next week and get a couple more.

But after having to listen to the teacher telling me how much my son *annoys* other students, so she's always moving him away from them. And yesterday, he had the hiccups and she believed he was faking them. When I talked to him about it, he had tears in his eyes and said "if God himself was standing right here, I'd tell HIM I actually had the hiccups---I wasn't faking---" My son has already been labeled the trouble-maker, whether he does something or not. And he's gotten to the point that he doesn't even try to defend himself, because they don't believe him. It breaks my heart to see the tears in his eyes----

I'm hoping now that I can get him involved in hs group activities---if I can ever get anyone from the local groups I've contacted to call or email me back. I just never hear from anyone when I try to contact.-=--

I'm scared---which is an upgrade from yesterday. When I did it I was terrified and cried. But am starting to feel better. And once in a while, a little excitement is starting to creep in. I'm just thankful for groups like this with those of you who have been there and are willing to help those of us who sometimes feel like we DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!

God Bless you all and thank you!!!

God is up to something.

sherimc
User

Postby sherimc » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:05 pm

Thats horrible. I have been lucky actually. No teacher trouble. That makes me terrified in a whole different way. My 3 kids were all good students and I had no problems with the school. I just wanted to be more involved and try this venture. That makes me terrified. I have moments of wondering if I am taking away from the recognition and accomplishments they could achieve in school. I was cleaning and saw a class picture with my son and his class. He had a huge smile on his face. I guess I really need to get involved with some other HS kids and maybe I'll feel better. Anyway, sorry I rambled I just really know how your feeling. Different situation, same feelings! Good luck. Keep me posted.
Sheri

LadyBlue
User

Postby LadyBlue » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:24 am

I found out that a neighbor of mine used to hs her kids. She had a lot of material that she gave me. One of the books I was reading had a question in it: In public school, is your child set up for success? In my situation, it's a definite NO. My son loves to be around other kids, too---and I guess even the one's who think he's annoying (bless his heart). But, I think the experience with him will be better for him if he's involved in other curricular activities with other homeschoolers; they'll have something in common; plus he won't think we're homeschooling because the school doesn't want him there; he'll realize there's a whole other world out there of kids (students) that do it from home----and he's a part of that. I want him to realize they're smarter, more intelligent, happier, etc. I know there's a whole slew of benefits.

Yes, Sheri, in your situation it's different. But definitely get them involved in hs groups with weekly activities. Let them know how special they are and that's why you want to hs them. They will get to experience both worlds---and remember, being at home doesn't mean he has to lose contact with friends he has at school. They can still get together and play. Don't beat yourself up over it. Talk to them, get them involved with others and let them keep contact with old friends. I realize I'm very new to this and so can't offer any advice from experience, but I offer some advice that comes from the heart; to me it just makes sense!!

Good luck sweetie, and yes, please, keep in touch how things are going.

God is up to something.

dkatiemom
User

update?

Postby dkatiemom » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:42 pm

LadyBlue, how is it going?

I live in Little Elm (Texas), and let me tell you...my 7 year-old is having a HORRIBLE time in Frisco ISD.

I want to know how you are doing now. I am right there on the cusp of deciding to withdraw my son from school, and want to know how it is working for you since the switch.

My son has the same, EXACT social issues. Reading your post was like looking in a mirror. I have watched my wonderful, smart boy turn into an uncontrollably angry, withdrawn, lying, sarcastic kid who hates school (in 2nd grade!) and will do absolutely anything to get out of homework.

Ironically, it is also this very child who seems, outside of school, to be fascinated with learning. He peppers me with non-stop questions about everything under the sun. I am thinking about you and wish you well on your homeschooling journey!

-Katie

Return to “Getting Started”