Needing some encouragement here

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Needing some encouragement here

Postby kkapfe » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:52 pm

sherimc
User

Postby sherimc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 pm

alisarussell
User

Postby alisarussell » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:15 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:28 am

1. Make sure this curriculum teaches the information in a way the child can learn. How does your child learn best? Auditorily, kinesthetically, or by watching? Can you add manipulatives to the math to make it easier to understand?

2. Give your 1st grader a list of what must be done in school. Then, tell him/her that the work must be done before playing/tv/computer time and see what happens.

3. Is this child a morning or afternoon person? Could your child simply not be quite awake enough to concentrate on seatwork? Could you assign chores (something moving around) or PE (an exercise routine or video) before seatwork?
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 pm

My son (age 10) takes a very long time to complete anything. So I do what robinsegg mentioned, and state what needs doing each day. The work gets done first. If he doesn't complete it he gets no free time. If its not done that day then it goes over into the next day and if needed we use the weekend.

He also has a planner which he can write down what needs doing and cross it off as it gets completed. For younger students perhaps something fun like a chart with stickers?

I also make sure he has very little to distract him. He also likes to just "talk" about anything not schoolwork related lol. I've had to be firm and not let him draw me into a conversation. I always say we can chat later, right now its schoolwork.

Its not 100%. I have to accept that he doesn't like actual workpages...reports, math sheets etc. I try to incorporate more hands on stuff because thats what he likes. And I make sure I pick topics that work for him. For example he loves learning about the Roman Empire so thats on our school list this year.

Good luck.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Return to “Getting Started”