Keeping a Day of Total Rest.........

Anything having to do with religion or religious debate goes here.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

OA
User

Keeping a Day of Total Rest.........

Postby OA » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:53 pm

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thymanservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." (Exodus 20: 8-11)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking at the weekly training schedule my son's coach had given him, I read:

"Goal is to develop a strong aerobic base, improve strength and fitness.TRAIN 5 DAYS/WEEK. TAKE 2 DAYS/WEEK OFF OF RUNNING. (One day should be TOTAL rest.).....DAY 7: OFF/REST"

Our DS15 is training with a coach who has trained national and Olympic level athletes. They know they need a day of total rest to rebuild their bodies after a week of strenuous training.

Last week, my DS15 and I, met with a "Registered Holistic Nutrititionist", who also stressed the importance of the "7th day of total rest". He is a tri-athlete, who runs the "Ironman Triathalon", (4 km swimming, 180 km biking, and 42 km running), in approximately 12 hours. Having competed in many marathons, and being a highly trained athlete, he stressed the importance of "restoring the body" through rest. Exercise is a stress to the body and causes cellular damage. These cells are rebuilt and restored through rest. A day of "total rest" helps to rebuild the body so it is ready for a new week. God in His wisdom ordained the 7th day of rest. We need it to recharge ourselves, physically, mentally, and spiritually. I asked him what he defined as "total rest". He replied, "Read a book! You basically do nothing! No biking, no running, just relax!"

For some ideas for resting on Sunday and making Sunday special for you and your family, we came across this helpful book:

"Making Sunday Special" (by Karen Burton Mains)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:42 pm

Resting is hard for a SAHM. there is always some "thing" that is calling to me. Things that need to be organized, cleaned, put away... One way of curbing this "need" is to not be home. After church on Sunday we go to Open houses as a family. Even if you aren't in the looking it is fun. We all talk about the things we would do if we were building our dream house. If we aren't house looking, we are playing dominoes at my mother's house. A great way to relax and have a good time together. Sundays (or whatever day is a good Sabbath for you) are a great time to actually spend time with your whole family. Not teaching, or cleaning. Enjoy your family they are the only ones you have. :)
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

micheller79
User

resting

Postby micheller79 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:55 pm

This is a troublesome topic in our home. My husband usually has Sunday as his only day off. So, we have chores that need doing, but he also needs a day of rest. But, if we stay home, I end up doing instead of resting. If we go away my hub feels like he has no time at home.. I do believe in honoring the day of rest, but it is difficult. I remember childhood as sunday being a verrry long day in my life. I'm going to look up that book. thanks.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Here are a few suggestions:
--go to church
--fix and eat meals together
--everyone lies down for a rest/nap
--talk over what happened in our different Sunday School classes
--work on goal-setting programs
--study the scripture lessons for school in the coming week
--read scripture-related books and Church magazines
--little ones play together quietly in the house
--write in a journal
--go for a walk
--talk to extended family by phone
--visit friends who are also resting
--be sure to get everyone to bed right on time

We all wear our Sunday-best clothes all day and the kids' rule of thumb is they may play anything that doesn't spoil their clothes.

micheller79
User

day of rest

Postby micheller79 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:03 am

ozmum
User

Sunday ??

Postby ozmum » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:52 pm

micheller79
User

no worries

Postby micheller79 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:19 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:24 am

Saturday was the traditional Old Testament day off, but that was during "the law and the prophets", and Saturday was replaced with Sunday when Jesus rose from the dead. The following OT verse refers to this happening:

"The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief corner stone. This is the Lord’s doing; It is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it..." (Psalm 118:22-26)

Regarding Ecclesiastes 3:14, what do you say about the OT laws (Leviticus)? Those were supplied by God, but were meant only to hold Israel over until Jesus arrived, at which point things switched from salvation by works to salvation by faith alone. According to your logic, since God supplied the OT laws, Christians should still be following the rules and regulations even now - including the part about Gentiles having to join the Jewish people to be saved. Obviously, that isn't the case.

Just my two cents.

David
User

Postby David » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:02 pm

My family have been blessed by a day of rest. We don't look at the school books (the children like that), we stop our daily routine of work, and lay aside the common chores and devote the day to spiritual nourishment. We talk, pray, study the Bible, walk or drive in nature, visit with other like-minded people, and sometimes visit neighbors, take gifts to people etc. We don't consider "keeping the Sabbath" legalistic, but vital to strengthen our walk, and faith in Christ.

I would like to share a few thoughts. It was not my intention to make this long, but there are some important points I think it is wise to consider.

Saved Jews in the Old Testament were saved by faith.
No Jew in the old testament was saved by works. Ro 3:20 “Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin. Hebrews 11 speaks of the faith of Samuel, David, Moses, Jacob, Isaac, etc. and Romans 4:3 says of Abraham the father of the Jewish nation, “... Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.â€

bedashwood
User

10 commandments twice removed

Postby bedashwood » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

josh_chs
User

Postby josh_chs » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:37 pm

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Sharon

bedashwood