Desperate For Help

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

LadyBlue
User

Desperate For Help

Postby LadyBlue » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:48 pm

When you are down to nothing,
God is up to something.

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:40 pm

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

alisarussell
User

Postby alisarussell » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:52 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

LadyBlue
User

Thank you

Postby LadyBlue » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:37 pm

Thank you so much everyone for replying. I know I'm not alone out there and I know that he can't be the only 7 yr. old boy with the same type of problems.

I will research more and read the blogs and everything I can. But---I'm not sure I have what it takes to be a homeschool "teacher"---as I was not very good in school. Luckily my daughters have excelled in their academics, and even my son is good, I just don't think I'd know what to do.

God bless everyone and I''m always still open for suggestions.!!!! :?

God is up to something.

Miyu
User

Postby Miyu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:52 pm

You'd be surprised at how well you can teach your child...there are so many resources out there to help home schooling parents that you don't have to be an expert in education to do a good job. My husband was certain that he couldn't teach grammar to Emily because he wasn't very good at it...but he is doing just fine...he is just following the curriculum. (I work outside the home, he stays at home and does most of the teaching)

I went through school hating every minute of it. I was bullied and picked on and had no friends. Homeschooling wasn't an option back then...and eventually, my parents took me out of public school and put me in a smaller, private school which was better...but I had gone through 9 years of hell. The school environment is definitely not suited for all kids.

LadyBlue
User

I agree

Postby LadyBlue » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:40 pm

I agree that public school is not for everyone--I can definitely see it.

I'll be honest, though, when I did research on homeschooling, there IS so much information out there that I think I have become overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin.

I'm in Texas---would anyone have any suggestions about a good place to look at lessons, or where to begin, or how to choose, or??????????? I'm confused again just trying to even go there again!!!

But hey--I know I feel better having gotten it all out and know there's people who care---believe me, it really does make a difference!

God is up to something.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:44 pm

I know a lot of people that just use the "everything your child needs to know in ...Grade" books. They take you step by step through each grade and subject. Theodore will know the rules of Texas I'm sure.

LadyBlue
User

Books

Postby LadyBlue » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks--is there a certain company or place to get this particular Book or curriculum? Website?

God is up to something.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:45 pm

Barnes and Noble should have it, or amazon. By the way when you homschool, you get a discount at al B&N stores.

three2camp
User

Postby three2camp » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:17 pm

"The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene saved our life - go to the library or the bookstore.

Next, our child is on the Autistic Spectrum and we have been through our own he11 with him. Willful, argumentative (we still call him our little lawyer) and very strict on adhering to routine while also being kind, generous, thoughtful and really neat. The tantrums and meltdowns just made me nuts but the book above taught us how to chart and anticipate meltdowns.

At one point my son was so depressed and had learned violence through the public school that THEY wanted him admitted to a psych hospital.

Instead, we followed our instincts and started to learn about him, listen to him and work with him.

We're homeschooling a very happy child right now. Will it change? Maybe, but I know we did what we needed to do when we brought him home - it probably saved his life and after reading some recent news articles, I'm serious - we probably saved someone else's life by recognizing the anxiety and stress and dealing with it.

LadyBlue
User

Thank you

Postby LadyBlue » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Thank you sooooooo much for all the suggestions and stories. It helps to know others can actually relate to what we're going thru. It's not easy; each day is a struggle--and more so for him, and that breaks my heart to watch him have to go thru it. He doesn't have many friends because of the behavior, and when he does meet someone, I think he scares them off being so forward (I think he's desperate and craving the friendship of a peer--) but he just doesn't function well in a group setting.

Again, thank you so much. I'm going to research all that has been suggested. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice.

What a blessing it is to have people you don't know offer to lend a helping hand.

God is up to something.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:32 am

thought montgomery was familiar.. :)
drive past there once in a while headed for the Triangle. :)

yes, we can relate.. your son sounds a bit like mine..

and yes you can homeschool him. honest.. you can..

we get most of our stuff through a store that is too far from you
to help I'm sorry to say.. although.. them might ship things to you..

we'll see if i can find the url and get back to you.

help him to learn music if at all possible.. at second grade..
a recorder would be a good place to start. it will not only help
him organize his thoughts, but later in life will help with being an "In"
to meeting people and learnig to deal with them.

mark

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:36 am

http://www.homeeducatorsresource.com/

and it looks like they ship too..
I'm just spoiled since they have a shop one town away from me.. :D

LadyBlue
User

Thank you

Postby LadyBlue » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:33 am

Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you !

You've given me more hope in one day than I've had in years!

I will get started in researching all this materials and I appreciate you taking the time to share it with me.

Words can never express my thanks and appreciation.

God is up to something.

Return to “Getting Started”