Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling an only child

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling an only child Reply with quote

I only have one child. We are homeschooling her and there are no kids in the neighborhood. She seems to get bored at times. Should I add more school subjects? Or more fun activities? Any ideas?

Note: My husband (who is a stay at home dad) does not drive, so she is pretty much stuck at home while I am at work.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she has to be at home...maybe art projects? You could get a few things to surprise her with during her "bored" times. Like a beading loom, jewelery kit, a model, etc. Perhaps music...a harmonica or recorder or some such with a book and/or cd that gives a bit of instruction. Maybe a cook book if you think she and dad might use it. Cooking can be considered a bit of science, bit of math and perhaps even art.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about inviting another child over sometimes?
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: only child Reply with quote

I am in the same situation. Only child and a house bound parent. I welcome any suggestions.
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered outdoor activities? Nature walks/p.e./geography of the neighborhood/etc?

How old is she?
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily is 9.

She does do outside activities at times, but I am thinking ahead to when the weather turns...outside won't be as much as an option, then.

Even now, after a long summer, she is sort of sick of doing outside things. She actually wanted to start school a week earlier than we had planned...The curriculum arrived in the mail and she wanted to start the very next day.

I am thinking that I need more project type things for her to do. Lately, I have been coming home to interesting "projects" in the kitchen and/or bathroom. She has made perfume...out of instant lemonade powder and canola oil....cakes out of pancake mix, water and an entire container of cinnamon...various art projects...a grasshopper habitat, complete with grasshoppers...a doll made out of garbage (recycling)...clothes for our rabbits made from cutting up her own clothes...outfits for herself made from cutting up her own clothes...etc, etc, etc....

I love seeing what she comes up with...but sometimes...well...she leaves disaster in her wake...I want to give her something more contained to do...that doesn't involve using up all the oil or spices or destroying her clothing...
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what we call a creation box. THings that they are allowed to use at during free time. It is full of recycled stuff, bottle tops, baby food jars, yogurt and applesauce cups, string, wire,... We also have a take-apart box. When things are broken or things we find free on the side of the rode, we put them in this box and the boys get a tray and take apart find out how the object works. the computer monitor was their favorite so far, and we get more things for our creation box. You might want to have her think about starting her own business, there are a lot of books on the subject, maybe cooking, or crafts? I hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miyu wrote:
She has made perfume...out of instant lemonade powder and canola oil....cakes out of pancake mix, water and an entire container of cinnamon...various art projects...a grasshopper habitat, complete with grasshoppers...a doll made out of garbage (recycling)...clothes for our rabbits made from cutting up her own clothes...outfits for herself made from cutting up her own clothes...etc, etc, etc....

I love seeing what she comes up with...but sometimes...well...she leaves disaster in her wake...I want to give her something more contained to do...that doesn't involve using up all the oil or spices or destroying her clothing...

What natural consequences for these adventures has she experienced? Was she required to eat the next thing that would normally have had cinnamon in it without flavoring? Was she required to mend her cut-up clothes?

These are the sorts of things I would be thinking about for my kids.

Ramona
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
Miyu wrote:
She has made perfume...out of instant lemonade powder and canola oil....cakes out of pancake mix, water and an entire container of cinnamon...various art projects...a grasshopper habitat, complete with grasshoppers...a doll made out of garbage (recycling)...clothes for our rabbits made from cutting up her own clothes...outfits for herself made from cutting up her own clothes...etc, etc, etc....

What natural consequences for these adventures has she experienced? Was she required to eat the next thing that would normally have had cinnamon in it without flavoring? Was she required to mend her cut-up clothes?

These are the sorts of things I would be thinking about for my kids.

Ramona

Well...she didn't get cinnamon toast for a while...but the cake was a gift for our anniversary...so I didn't discipline her for doing it.

And her clothes are beyond mending...

Basically, I encourage her creativity...I just want to channel it a little better. It's not her fault that I don't have materials for her to use for projects and she has to scrounge for things...
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy a Girl Scout badge book and hubby could teach her the things contained therein. It's a great resource for projects, and could be planned for in advance.

Wallpaper sample books are discontinued regularly. Many wallpaper stores will give these away (esp. to a "school", as they can be tax deductable), and can be materials for lots of craft projects.

Walmart has fabric you can buy (they have a $1 table) that would be good for cloth projects.

See if you can interest her in dance/gymnastics/scouting, etc. durring time you could transport her.

Go to the library for books on crafts. Try the 745 section (dewey decimal) for this, both adult and children's areas. Also, Pack-o-Fun magazine is really good for projects.

Talk to your daughter about asking dad before starting a new project, so he can help her compile the materials (in a way that won't anger you).

I hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: