SOS R2

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

cg99ar
User

SOS R2

Postby cg99ar » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:53 am

Hello,
I'm Kathy I am am here to the board still. I read allot but haven't really posted allot.

I have a questioned about Alpha Omega-----Switched on Schoolhouse R2.

How many of you have used this --this year since it has been re-done this year.

We are wanting to use it for the next school year, really start this summer so we can all get use to it. It would be for an 8th graders and a 4th grader.

Our kids are currently in Public and both hate it. I refuse to let them go to high school here because of all the stuff I have been told by parents that have their kids there now or did have them there.
Thank You for any info,
KathyB
KB

speedyg
User

Switched-On Schoolhouse

Postby speedyg » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:21 pm

I am also interested in SOS. My son is bi-polar and this curriculum has been successful for many students like him supposedly...

Here it is though. I seem to be one of the few non-religious homeschooling parents in the world. I am glad that there is a way we can, regardless of our beliefs, find a way that works for each of us.
But I wish I could find some feedback on this program, from someone else in my boat.

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:33 pm

I used Alpha & Omega almost the entire time I was homeschooled. My sister used the first version of SOS - and really enjoyed it. It made life really easy for my mother.

The core is good - I'd suggest using some other extra courses (I did reading and extra writing courses) when you get into the high school level.

Josh
User

Postby Josh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:07 pm

It is excellent and kids should have no problem using it. I've used it for about four years now as tabz said supplement it with reading and other activities of course.

They do offer electives (I take spanish and some others)

Also it is a religious curriculum and not just for bible class either it is a christian curriculum.

For you and your son since you are not religious and he is bipolar you may want to try homeschooling through a state academy similar to Alpha Omega Academy and curriculum but they will offer secular curriculum, a computer with internet access and of course state approval. Here in Idaho our virtual academy has been a big success and the kids I know involved love it.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. -Bierce

Celeste
User

Postby Celeste » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi! I can relate with your problems with high school! I use the SOSr2 for my 7th grader and will be using it next year for two children. I love the ease of this program. I have used lifepacs as well, but like the automatic lesson planning and grading of the SOSr2 program. My kids love the videos (tiny tutors) and games, we use the online links quit a bit and I use the teacher resources all the time. Both my kids love computers and this keeps them interested. I would suggest looking at the math program for your children's grades, seeing what they will study and maybe buying a year ahead if they are good at math. 7th grade math is a good review for my son, but a little easy for him. I will be starting my 6th grader with 8th grade math next year along with my son after a quick review this summer. I stick with SOSr2 electives because I love the programs ease but soon will use lifepac electives too (not a lot of choices for electives with SOSr2, unless you do the state studies.) Another thing is with the SOSr2, subjects have projects for the kids to work on for each class, but assign them so they are only working on one or two at a time. This is a very structured, bible based program, requires a good computer or two, is a bit expensive, sometimes can be difficult but challenging for the child, and lessons can be printed if you feel they are in front of the computer to long or want a change. I read assignments ahead of time so I am familier with the material and also read each lesson with my children so we can discuss the lesson before answering questions. I like the fact that the children have to read the lesson carefully and the answers are not always obvious. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Celeste
User

Postby Celeste » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:46 pm

"Here it is though. I seem to be one of the few non-religious homeschooling parents in the world. I am glad that there is a way we can, regardless of our beliefs, find a way that works for each of us"

Just a note, we are not extremly religious either, but I find that teaching my child with SOSr2 is a good thing. It is good to teach our children all we can about all religions. You can never go wrong with teaching the values of the bible. Even if your not religious, having the knowledge and giving your children this information is educational. I find myself becoming more religious as I'm educating myself too! If you don't agree with something you can always discuss that with your child, learning both views makes for a well rounded education, not at all what the public schools teach.

MIAK
User

Postby MIAK » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:59 am

Hi Kathy, I'm VERY new here, but wanted to introduce myself. I've just started using the SOSr2 8th grade for our daughter, and this is my 1st year of HS as well. So far so good. But too new with nothing else to compare it to except public school. So excited to finally get started! Good luck with your HS this year too!

Janet Tatman
User

Postby Janet Tatman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 pm

You can go on AOP's web site and register for a free, new 30-minute live demo to check out the SOS R2 curriculum for yourself. Use the link below.

http://www.aop.com/homeschool/events_we ... es.php?s=1
Janet T.
HS MOM FOR 25 YRS
www.janetsjournal.com

MIAK
User

Postby MIAK » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks so much! :)

Rinata
User

Postby Rinata » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:08 pm

I used SOS r2 last year for 8th grade we have since then switched to Abeka. My daughter found it tiring to be in front of the computer for all of her classes and she did not like the fact that she really didn't need me to teach or help her very much. I of course liked the ease in record keeping. My daugter much better prefers the paper, pencil and textbook approach. We do use it still for her Spanish, since I do not know the language I needed something that could teach her correct pronunciation. She is now taking Spanish 2 which is as high as they go so next year she will be taking classes at the college for the rest of her high school year for spanish.
Birth daughter, C, 14yo, 9th grade.
Foster son, E, 2 months.

MIAK
User

Postby MIAK » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:45 pm

So, how do you like the abeka now in comparison to SOS? It sounds like she might be happier with the books?? I think my daughter likes the SOSr2 better, but it's probably because it's so new and different for her, and she has a passion for being on the computer.

We haven't started Spanish yet, but I'm so glad you mentioned using SOS for Spanish! We will wait and start that in Jan.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Rinata
User

Postby Rinata » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:27 pm

My daughter really liked SOS when she first started it and she likes the computer. She can "play" on it for hours, but when it came to having to do it for school it was no longer cool. Even though Abeka takes longer because we interact so much, she really likes the books. She told me that she likes the idea that she can do her homework anywhere. She's not tied down to the computer chair to do her work. She also really likes the fact that we get to talk about what she is learning. She especially likes our discussions in Literature class. She also started to get headaches from being in front of the computer so much. She does her Spanish with SOS because I don't know the language but she is so much looking forward to taking it at college. The SOS Spanish 1 and 2 for the 13-18 yo, is equivalent to the first 2 semesters in college. So when she goes, she not only will be in the 3rd semester of college level Spanish but she will get dual credits. Receiving college credits as well as high school credits. This is a much better year for us.
Birth daughter, C, 14yo, 9th grade.

Foster son, E, 2 months.

Janet Tatman
User

Postby Janet Tatman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:32 pm

Janet T.

HS MOM FOR 25 YRS

www.janetsjournal.com

Dr Small
User

Postby Dr Small » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:51 pm

I am a homeschooled student, and I currently am using Switched On SchoolHouse R2 as my curriculum.

It works very well, and very smoothly.
I am also on a local network, and the software is installed on the base computer, and the client versions are installed on the other computers.

The database is located on the base computer, so everything is kept up to-date with the current lessons, grades ect from each computer.

I must say, since I like computers, I like the computer based school.

Dr Small

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”