Math - kids count on fingers!??

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

ryanandsarie
User

Math - kids count on fingers!??

Postby ryanandsarie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:24 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:06 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

ldowns9315
User

That's exactly the question I was going to ask

Postby ldowns9315 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:53 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 am

I never thougth of that, aren't fingers just another manipulative?
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:56 pm

There are some great articles about math on this site by Bob Hazen. He talks about 6 or 7 different ways to teach math facts and my experience is that each of my children truly needed to be taught every one of those ways before they mastered their facts and could do them without using fingers.

I also read somewhere else that counting on fingers is a normal developmental stage kids go through. If a 10-y-o is stuck at that stage I'd think there's a hole somewhere in those 6 or 7 different ways of approaching memorizing the math facts.

I have no problem with my kids using their fingers when they're 5 and 6. In some ways the fingers are another manipulative, and in some ways they're different. (They can't be taken away from the child, for one thing.)

Ramona

ryanandsarie
User

THANKS

Postby ryanandsarie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:00 pm

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions! I understand math on fingers to some extent..but my 10 year old has trouble with his math because he is trying to multiply and such...We are going to work on getting our facts down!
Thanks so much!

ldowns9315
User

Thanks guys

Postby ldowns9315 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:57 am

This has been very helpful.

Do you know where I could find any of those articles about teaching math 5 or 6 different ways?

Bob Hazen?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:14 pm

We have some of Bob Hazen's articles up here:
http://www.home-school.com/Articles/

We need to add more, though - some were set aside temporary due to the difficulty of representing certain symbols and formulas in web format. I may do an all Bob Hazen batch after I finish the current set of articles I'm working on.

Ramona
User

Re: Thanks guys

Postby Ramona » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:26 pm

Moti
User

Postby Moti » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:21 pm

Actually, there is a problem with counting on fingers, and all other manipulatives. They do create a problem in mastering skills. While manipulatives can help in understanding an idea they are not good for practicing. The child becomes dependent on the manipulatives for doing the exercise and does not develop the skill. Manipulatives also (in the practice stage, not the understanding the idea stage) reduce abstract thinking.

You can find a blog by me on my website that cites a recent study on math standards in which manipulatives are discussed.

Several parents who had the same exact problem asked me what to do and when they followed my advice they saw great and quick improvement. Basically, do not allow him to use fingers anymore. He has to develop the ability to "see" (or use his mind) to calculate. Don't try to tackle ALL the "facts" immediately. Start with addition and multiplication and get him to master one number (i.e. 2+1, 2+2..2+10, 2x1,2x2,...2x10). Only when he can answer those quickly (without hesitation) move to the next one.

Why is it important? not for its own sake really. Knowing those "facts" is important because when more complex operations and topics are learned, not knowing those facts well enough create an inability to see the "path" to the answer -- the child gets stuck at the calculation stage and the problem becomes like an unbridged river. Knowing those facts provide a bridge so the rest of the path can be seen.

Miyu
User

Postby Miyu » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:06 pm

I am a mathetician, and I still count on my fingers at times...and I did throughout school...and I have no problem at all with abstract thought.

I have mixed feelings about the whole subject. On the one hand, I see understand the arguments against it, but on the other hand, it didn't hurt me any.

three2camp
User

Postby three2camp » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:46 am

In regards to Math-U-See, my now 10-y-o is completing Gamma level and we've ordered Delta. MUS did offer placement tests and many websites also offer sample lessons. The first half of MUS - Gamma had us completely bored - it revisits 2 x 2 - but the second half was more challenging. Gamma is ALL multiplication, Delta is ALL division so he can go at his own pace. But, it's also confusing when coming out of public school where they're mixing it all up.

We haven't used the MUS manipulatives hardly at all - a little bit in the 100's, but otherwise they're gathering dust. The reviews and tests do revisit addition and subtraction and continue to review and build on skills. When he's ready to move on - sometimes the next day - we move on.

After we started MUS, I heard about Singapore and now I wish we had tried that one. But, he wants to stay with MUS. Singapore also has placement tests and samples you can print.

Moti
User

Postby Moti » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:49 am

groovyhsmama
User

Re: That's exactly the question I was going to ask

Postby groovyhsmama » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Groovy
HSing mom to my 5yo ds

Dolly-VA
User

Re: That's exactly the question I was going to ask