Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teenagers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamela glosson
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: teenagers Reply with quote

I have a teenager who has been homeschooling for a year and is feeling like she's in a cage. We don't keep her from any activities or restrict her in anyway from friends. Any suggestions? Mad
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: What activities does she currently do? Reply with quote

What activities does she currently do? Are any of them larger-scale activities such as swim team, regional math / spelling / science / geography / etc. contests, volunteering for community service, attending state homeschool (or any other) conventions? What activities would she be doing if she were still in public school? Some children are just used to having a lot of people around after spending time in public school, and home, even with socialization, seems somewhat more empty during the transition.
pamela glosson
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is in the same activities as she was in public school, in fact even more. She volunteers at a hospital once a week, she plays volleyball, attends church activities, and nursering home volunteer.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Could it have something to do with her age? Reply with quote

Hmm, well then I have no idea what the problem would be. Could it have something to do with her age, rather than the fact that she's homeschooled?
Katharos
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your daughter is not doing so already, I suggest she audit or take courses at the local college or community college. I have been doing that for the past year, and now most of my friends are college and grad students, which I love, as it is nice to be around people older and wiser than myself.
Against My Will
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What activities does she currently do? Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
What activities does she currently do? Are any of them larger-scale activities such as swim team, regional math / spelling / science / geography / etc. contests, volunteering for community service, attending state homeschool (or any other) conventions?

as a teen none of those are activities that probly apeal to her.

at 15 i think i would probly die if i had to do swim team, regional math / spelling / science / geography / etc. contests for fun.

the reason she feels she is in a cage is probly cuz she is hanging out with old people rather than kids her own age.

i kno that i much rather be at a friends house that with my mother or at a nursing home.

i also dont see a point in homeschooling a child that is not special needs your daughter seems like she is in a cages becuz she has spelling and nurseing home visits as hobbies.

try giving her her own space.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own. My siblings have been doing swim team for several years now and enjoy it quite a bit. Same with math contests, the times we did those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: