Why homeschooling?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Lenethren
User

Why homeschooling?

Postby Lenethren » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:42 am

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

micheller79
User

why homeschool

Postby micheller79 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:17 pm

Ramona
User

Re: Why homeschooling?

Postby Ramona » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:16 pm

micheller79
User

why homeschool

Postby micheller79 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:04 pm

Lenethren
User

Re: why homeschool

Postby Lenethren » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:48 pm

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

micheller79
User

Postby micheller79 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:38 pm

Oh, just the one 15 year old girl complaining about the various problems at school---drugs, kids "hooking up" during school hours, girl gangs, being made fun of for having the wrong shoes etc.

And two of the girls are homeschooled and they are so different in their approach to bible study. (they actually partcipated)

NOt that there aren't public school kids with good christian values, but in our area it is a slim few.

Miyu
User

Postby Miyu » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:45 pm

I always wanted to homeschool, but was prevented from doing so by my ex-husband until this year.

My main reasons are as follows:

Religious reasons. Even though I had her in a Christian School that I liked, it was a different denomination from mine. This was just starting to become an issue...not a big one, but I could see it becoming more of an issue as she got older. And I don't want her in public school mainly for religious reasons.

Finacial reasons: It was becoming harder and harder to afford private school tuition.

Academic reasons: She has a learning disabilty and is gifted...a challenging combination. By homeschooling, I can taylor the curriculum to meet her needs.

AnnetteR
User

Postby AnnetteR » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:11 am

kkapfe
User

Why I homeschool?

Postby kkapfe » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Honestly, a year ago I was so against homeschooling. The only thing I knew about homeschooling was from my aunt who is extremely lazy and her kids are soooo behind, it's sad really. Then I watched a home video of my oldest in her kindergarten classroom where everyone was reading out loud and she was just looking down at her lap. She hadn't read a thing! I knew she was struggling because it would take over two hours a night for her and I to get through a 2 page reader for her homework and that included temper tantrums of frustration. Her teacher was a great teacher but I can only imagine how hard it is to keep 15 5-yr olds moving forward at the same pace. I decided to keep her home this year and started working really hard with her to catch up over the summer (we started the week after K5 graduation). Needless-to-say, the kid is brilliant. She has completed almost all of her 1st grade books in about 13 weeks. She knows how to do her work, she just can't focus which is why she was falling behind in class. At home I know immediately when she's "staring off into space" and I can pull her back. My other daughter, 4yo, wouldn't even be able to start school until next year but because we're homeschooling she's been able to start early. She went from not being able to recognize numbers to adding and subracting on paper in 13 weeks. Oh the incredible joys of homeschooling!

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:49 am

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”