Need help getting started.Need hands on or interactive .....

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

goodgirlquin
User

Need help getting started.Need hands on or interactive .....

Postby goodgirlquin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:48 pm

I have been trying to get started with my son these last fews weeks.It is so hard he does not like using worksheets.He is the kind of child you have to keep engaged.I am looking for materail that is very hands on or interactive computer curriculum.I need all of the core subjects.I am not good at making my own curriculum.I need it as organized as possible.Any ideas?

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:03 pm

How old is he?
How much time are you willing to put into this?

KONOS curriculum is very hands-on, but takes a lot of prep time.

For other things, you could try geography puzzles, addition using hopscotch (he has to jump on the numbers from the problems you call out and tell you the answer), draw a keyboard using chalk and make him spell on it.

There are manipulatives that will help for math, programs where you can put letter/word tiles together to create words/sentences. Use number/letter blocks and refrigerator magnets. Look for board games. http://www.learningcompany.com has computer programs like Carmen Sandiego that are great for history and geography, as well as others for math/language arts.

What's your most important subject to use computer programs on?

I hope I've given you some ideas.
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

goodgirlquin
User

Thanks

Postby goodgirlquin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:58 pm

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:09 pm

I've just been reading The Three Rs by Ruth Beechick. She has some good ideas in there for reading, writing and arithmatic that aren't the "same old, same old".

Rachel
Rachel

teacher at home

The Cleft in the Rock Academy

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:15 pm

my 8yo son hates work books so we do a lot of games and flashcards and hands on things. For spelling we play a games with flashcards, if he can read/spell the word he gets to keep it. If he gets it wrong then it's my point. We use cuisinare rods for math, as well as number lines that thye made and decorated. Reading is just reading. I borrowed some grade level readers from the school and we read those, or other books from the library. we write stories on the computer, and about the only workbook he does is handwriting. If he really gives you a hard time you can always bribe him, with a penny a word or math problem. What ever works! :lol:
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

goodgirlquin
User

Thank you..........

Postby goodgirlquin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:10 pm

These are all great ideas.Thank you so much keep them coming.I think many peoiple can benefit from these ideas for younger children.

Return to “Getting Started”