Librarian needs help serving homeschoolers!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

thatsuzygirl
User

Librarian needs help serving homeschoolers!

Postby thatsuzygirl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 am

Hello!
My name is Suzy and I am a librarian at a medium sized public library. We have many homeschooling families at our library and I have been trying to think of ways my library can better serve these families.
Can you give me your wishlist for your public library? No wishes too big or too small. For instance, I know that a lot of families appreciate being able to come to my library to use the private study rooms. A clean, quiet place away from the distractions of home. They also like using our interlibrary loan system to get books we don't carry.
Thank you so much for your suggestions!
Suzy

Theodore

High school / college syllabuses and textbooks would be...

Postby Theodore » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:22 pm

Probably the most useful thing you could do would be put together a collection of high school / college syllabuses and textbooks. It's often quite expensive to buy even used college textbooks, and locating syllabuses for some subjects can also be difficult.

thatsuzygirl
User

Postby thatsuzygirl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:20 am

Thank you, Theodore! Feel free to add more suggestions as you think of them!
Suzy

SOPHIE
User

Homeschoolers with the library

Postby SOPHIE » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:37 am

Perhaps a reading or writing club might be of interest to them.

ccmmum
User

Postby ccmmum » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:37 am

One thing I especially liked at the library where used to live were activities for school aged children. For example, the libriaian would read a selection from a Little house book and then there were activities to go along with it.
Honestly, the attitude of the librian is the most important thing. Some can't be bothered to help you but those that go out of their way to help you find the right book are priceless!

thatsuzygirl
User

Postby thatsuzygirl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanks for the input! Those types of programs are sooo fun to put on!
:)
Suzy

nep
User

Postby nep » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:09 pm

I am just beginning to homeschool, so I am addressing the issue of which reading/phonics programs to use, and looking for first primers. Several programs are contained ina single book- alphaphonics, comes to mind-- and i would love if libraries carried several of these so a parent could glean from them and decide which to purchase if it became necessary rather than random choosing or trial and error. Also, making accesible truly phonics based readers, such as , Bob Books, would be so wonderful to be able to check out as kids go through them relatively fast and are on to the next phase before one knows it.

Some ideas that came to mind, at least,
nicole

Return to “Getting Started”