Junior in high school in IL...

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

SteveBi
User

Junior in high school in IL...

Postby SteveBi » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 pm

Hello all.

I'm interested in getting homeschooled but I have no idea how I could make this work. I know my mom would be willing to get me into homeschool.. just the thing is, my mom's not so good with the English language. She can speak and understand pretty well but she is not like a natural English speaker as she's from another country. (Although I was born here.)

How can this be done? I'm looking for ways.. could she still teach me? Is there such thing as getting / hiring somebody to come school me? Or is there another thing I don't know about?

Yes, I know, lots of questions. :P

Anyway, more about me and why I want to be homeschooled. First, a little about me. I'm a 16 year old male and I'm a Junior in high school. I go to school in Chicago, IL.

1. * My first reason is that I don't really like working around many people. I prefer to work alone.

2. * The second reason is I have medical issues. I have hypertension and most days when I come home from school I have a headache.

* - > Another medical issue is asthma. In school, I cannot tolerate the way the school staff handles heating / cooling. On relatively nice days, humidity plus the warmth from the insulation in the school makes it very hard for me to breath. On hot days (80 +), it's even worse. Teachers don't turn on the AC until it's burning hot for me, making it like a sauna in there. And, lastly, in the winter, it gets so stuffy and dry inside that it makes it unbearable.

* - > I'm also pretty overweight, putting a lot of stress when I move. (Don't think I won't be moving when I'm at home! I've started dieting and doing activies. :)) It's not my appearance that bothers me with my weight. It's how I feel because of the weight. I can't even climb the stairs or carry anything without getting shortness of breath and a pounding heart.

3. * I seem to be really depressed when I'm away from home. It doesn't happen when I go anywhere else.. just at school. I always think to myself that I could be learning at home and doing it willfully.. not in an environment that I don't like. I always feel tired, too. And, that tiredness is not because of my shape. I've gone other places for a few hours and I've never gotten tired like that during the summer. Going to school is a chore.

I hope you all could help me somehow, I'd really love to switch over. It would take a load off of my shoulders.

Thank you,

- Steve B.

Theodore

Re: Junior in high school in IL...

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:27 pm

http://www.chec.cc/Law/law.html

The law says you have to homeschool between the ages of 7 and 17 (someone mistyped that part of the page, I'll send an email), and cover the subjects:

Language Arts, Biological and Physical Sciences, Math, Social Sciences, Fine Arts, Health and Physical Development... Also honesty, justice, kindness and moral courage.

There are no restrictions on the number of hours you have to put in per year or how you allocate them. The only paperwork you have to send in is a simple statement of intent:

The only information public school officials are entitled to receive is a written statement declaring that the home-taught children are receiving an education equivalent to those in the public schools and doing so in the English language.

In your case, you would be doing everything pretty much through self-study, with perhaps community college courses for Biology and/or Chemistry lab. You can type up a statement of intent and have your mother sign it, then you're all set for studying at home at whatever pace you feel you can handle.

Return to “Getting Started”