christians and unschooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

love2bastayathomemom
User

christians and unschooling

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:41 pm

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:38 pm

I'm a Christian and have no problem with unschooling. It's something we do on top of our curriculum (because learning really should be a way of life), we're uncomfortable with having no structure or curriculum at all. I don't think it has anything to do with religion (though a person could make it so, I guess), but I've not read the arguments you have.
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:58 pm

Okay thanks for the reply...I'm a newbie, but very diligent in researching all the curriculums. I'm starting all this research a year before I "officially" homeschool. My oldest son is 4 1/2. I'm glad to hear you haven't heard anything negative about unschooling and christianity as I'm really leaning towards unschooling, but I have a feeling that when it "comes right down to the time I have to officially start and keep records, etc." that I'm going to wimp out. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but the reading part and kind of the math part bothers me still. The state of Florida law says that I have to have someone come in and evaluate my son on a yearly basis, I believe it is, and even though the homeschool groups have their "own" evaluator which is great and they tell me I should have no worries, but it's still nervewracking. May I ask you what you do as far as curriculum and how it's working? I have a strong willed active 20 month old and I do know it would be extremely difficult for my oldest to do textwork unless my youngest was napping and that's another reason for the unschooling approach since they could both be active in it together.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Suzy:)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:21 pm

I too, am a Christian and a part time unschooler. I was unschooling before I knew what I was doing. WE have a math curriculum, but reading is reading, and everything else is up to them. I have a 9yo, 7yo, and 18mo. We explore, and go for walks and read together. They have goals set for the year, as to how many books they want to read, and how many words they want to learn to spell, and a list of the things they want to learn about this year, (and a reward for each goal acheived). No curriculum, but something to keep us on target and focused on something. I hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:01 pm

Yes, that helps, but what math curriculum did you choose?
I've been unschooling all along too (before I ever even considered homeschooling and hadn't realized it either). I just assumed all Moms' were doing with their kids what I was doing with mine. I wasn't sure what you were "doing" about the reading part. I think what you meant in your post is that you were letting the kids decide when they were ready to learn that part of it, correct?
Suzy:)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:06 am

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:55 am

We're using Horizons math this year.
We use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
We use a literature-based approach. This year, we're using the Charlotte Mason Method with a curriculum at http://www.livingbooks.com You might want to take a good look at the CMM, since it has short lessons, narrating back to you, and lots of outside time. We've also used Sonlight and another, but it wasn't well suited to K like I was hoping.
Rachel

teacher at home

The Cleft in the Rock Academy

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:07 pm

Robin,
I've been looking at Charlotte Mason/living books curriculum for some time now. So glad to hear that you're happy with it and that it's working. I think I will definitely try that route. I haven't sprung for it yet since he's only 4 1/2 and I have some time, but I bought the 5 in a row because it's less money and just to see how he does with that first.
So you say CM is all about reading living books and the child dictates back? That would be ideal since he can't really read or write yet and it's all about being outside? Do you have youngs ones? I'm really excited about it. I just need to make sure it's right for him and not just because I like that sort of curriculum.
Would you believe I just bought the "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons?!" It's sitting on my table, but haven't tackled it yet. I think I'll set the timer for 10 or 15 minutes and that oughta do it. I read that I need to do it every day or pretty much every day so I've yet to start. I need to begin a schedule soon.

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm sorry, I meant Rachel! I was thinking of your Robinsegg name! You're one of the few I've read that uses Miquon. I heard it comes with lots of manipulatives? I"m going to go that route I think.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:19 pm

Just to clarify, Miquon doesn't come with lots of manipulative, it USES cuisinaire rods, and other manips, but it is still very inexspensive, and I love it.

love2bastayathomemom
User

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I think it would be a fun way to learn math. I hope my then 5 year old will like it. I'll think I'll go that route.

Return to “Getting Started”