chapter books for 4yo

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

crafty lady 3
User

chapter books for 4yo

Postby crafty lady 3 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:47 pm

I have started reading chapter books to my 4yo. She enjoys some of them, but I am having a hard time finding books that she enjoys but that I can approve.

For instance, she loves Junie B. Jones (Or she did the one book I read to her) , but that child is a terror! Might not be a problem for the shy retiring child to see a model of a more outgoing attitude. But I see a lot of Junie's traits in my girl, and trust me she doesn't need any help to find trouble, or to express herself or to. . . you get the picture.

I tried American Girls, but she just isn't ready.

She liked the first Magic Treehouse (it has dinosaurs, after all) but hasn't seemed interested in any others.

Any suggestions?

Martha

Tiarali
User

Postby Tiarali » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:56 pm

I have just started reading my 3yo 'Mr Pink Whistle' by Enid Blyton. I don't know if it's what your daughter would like. I thought I was being a bit ambitious, but Jasmine loves them. It's got a *heavy* morals focus (he goes around righting the wrongs of people who didn't deserve to be wronged - you'll notice the children never complain etc.) and I think it's a little overbearing at times - but Jasmine doesn't seem to notice too much so I can pay attention to chatting with her about the parts of the story that I do want her to remember.

Edit: Actually, now that I've read a few more chapters, I've decided that while the book is highly moral, it is a worldly morality that is being taught, not a christian one. The main character is really quite nasty and even breaks the law when dealing with the 'bad guy' in the story. Sure, the good guys always end up happy, but I'm not sure I would have read this book to my daughter if I'd realised in advance the morality that it would be teaching - hadn't read it myself since I was 8 :)
Last edited by Tiarali on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:41 pm

i have to agree with your assesment of junie b, magic schoolhoues can me alittle out there too, lying to parents. my son realy likes the boxcar children. and we like the cam jansen stories too. i hope you find some great books, share some others with us if you find some,
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Theodore

You could try Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories:

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm

We all loved reading the Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories books when we were younger, or having them read to us. Good stories, all with a moral (but not so much of one that it bashes you in the face).

http://www.uncle-arthurs.com
http://search.ebay.com

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:53 pm

Mr. Popper's Penguins was enjoyed by both of mine, as were
Charlotte's Web
The Boxcar Children

and some Winnie-the-Pooh chapter-types (original, I think)
The Frog and Toad ones can be good, too.

Look for books written before 1980, with short chapters. Ask your children's librarian. You might be surprised!:wink:
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Ramona
User

Re: chapter books for 4yo

Postby Ramona » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Lorren
User

Postby Lorren » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:13 am

ldowns9315
User