I AM VERY INTERESTED IN HS MY OWN 2 CHILDREN!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wvrobin
User

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN HS MY OWN 2 CHILDREN!

Postby wvrobin » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:13 pm

I AM FROM WV AND MY 2 CHILDREN ARE CURRENTLY IN PUBLIC SCHOOL. I HAVE FELT FOR A LONG TIME, NOW THAT I NEED TO TEACH THEM MYSELF. I DON'T KNOW OF ANY HS FAMILIES IN MY AREA I HOPE TO REALLY LEARN FROM THIS FORUM, I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS AND WOULD JUST LOVE TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO.

THANKS WV ROBIN

karenc.
User

Ask away!!!!!

Postby karenc. » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:38 am

Ask away, we'll do our best to help. Homeschooled 3 children, 2 have graduated, third in tenth grade.

wvrobin
User

THANKS I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT!!!

Postby wvrobin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:22 pm

karenc.
User

helping little by little.....

Postby karenc. » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:48 am

Robin,
I graduated from high school, i didn't go to college, I have never worked as my hubby and i dicide the kids where in need of their mom 24, 7.. So I have always been at home. My kids are great, my oldest who has just finished his first semister at a secular college, has take a stand for the Lord in his classes, He had to have the Big Bang theory, and told them like it is, the Lord made the world and everything in and on it. He got all A's and B's in his classes. So I know we made the right decision. My daughter who is 18 1/2 is a stay at home girl for now, but she is not only my daughter, she is my best friend, that come from, being here all the time, my youngest, has just asked to play on the homeschool basketball team, so I now see him growing and moving closer to christian friends. One of the greatest things is knowing they are getting the lessons taught to them and then seeing them apply it to their lives, even if it's years later.
I have taught our kids mostly, they went to a christian day school for two years, then finance ways we could not send them so i took over again, as far as friends that will all work out as long as they are exposed to other people, our kids never said they wanted to be homeschooled, we just did it. They have been able to choose subjects along the way to study that keeps it fun for them. Hope all this will help you some. If you make the decision, they need to know it still school and they have to complete all the work in order to pass the grade, use report cards and have Dad be the principle and sign them each quarter, it help them see their progress. Ask away some more will do my best, at this for 13 years, blessings Karen.

wvrobin
User

learning little by little!

Postby wvrobin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:32 am

KAREN,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS IT IS SO VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! PRAISE GOD ! FOR YOURS SONS BOLDNESS TO MAKE A STAND FOR GOD AND HIS BELIEFS. SOUNDS LIKE YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND DID A GOOD JOB WITH HIM. THAT IS A WONDERFUL GIFT FOR A MOTHER TO SAY THAT HER 18 1/2 YR OLD DAUGHTER IS HER BESTFRIEND YOU DON'T HEAR THAT EVERYDAY MOST KIDS AT THAT AGE WOULD RATHER BE WITH FRIENDS. I WANT THAT WITH MY CHILDREN ALSO.
I WAS WONDERING WHAT KIND OF CURRICULUM HAVE YOU USED OVER THE YEARS? WHAT DO YOU LIKE? AND WHY? WHAT HAVEN'T YOU LIKED AND WHY? I WAS CHECKING INTO KONOS UNIT STUDIES ,WERE MY TWO ARE SO CLOSE IN AGE (14 MONTHS APART) I WOULD LIKE TO DO AS MUCH TOGETHER AS POSSIBLE. THEY ARE BOTH GOOD READERS AND PRETTY GOOD SPELLERS. MATH THIS IS WERE THEY BOTH SEEM TO BE HAVING TROUBLE .THIS YEAR OUR SCHOOL SYSTEM HAS CHANGED THE MATH BOOKS AND TO BE HONEST I DON'T LIKE IT MYSELF. HAVE YOU FOUND ANYTHING EXTRA HELPFUL TO HAVE AT HOME TO USE WHEN TEACHING , LIKE MAPS I HAVE HEARD THAT HAVING POSTER MAPS OF THE WORLD AND USA ARE VERY HANDY. DO YOU KNOW ANY TEACHER WEB SITES WERE YOU CAN GET SCHOOL SUPPLY STUFF?THAT IS A GOOD IDEA ABOUT THE REPORT CARDS AND YOUR HUSBAND THE PRINCIPAL. WHAT KINDA OF SCHEDULE DO YOU HAVE THROUGH THE DAY, LIKE YOUR SCHOOL DAY SCHEDULE? HOW OLD IS YOUR YOUNGEST? IF YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING?
I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT FEB. 28TH IS HOMESCHOOL DAY AT OUR STATE CAPITAL I HOPE TO ATTEND. I ALSO HOPE TO MEET SOME OTHER HS FAMILIES CLOSE TO HOME. THE MORE I LEARN THE MORE EXCITED I FEEL ABOUT HS MY CHILDREN AND ALSO MORE CONFIDENT. SOME PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME AS LONG AS I STAY A STEP AHEAD I'LL BE O.K. WELL THAT IS ALL OF THE QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE AT THE PRESENT . I AM SURE TO HAVE MORE LATER! THANKS AGAIN!

WV ROBIN,

Theodore

Check out the Odyssey Atlasphere:

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:02 pm

For geography you might look at the Odyssey Atlasphere. Not only can you use it to get information about any point on the globe, but it comes with a number of rather addictive built-in games that make you actually want to learn geography :) My siblings use it a lot on their own.

wvrobin
User

thanks!

Postby wvrobin » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:29 pm

THANKS,

I WILL CHECK INTO IT.

THANKS! WV ROBIN

karenc.
User

little by little

Postby karenc. » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:16 am

Robin,
Unit studies are great. I used them when our kids where all little. You can create your own studies just by researching on the internet and adding worksheets and coloring pictures, reading books on the subject be taught.
Dover publishing has nice books for unit studies. We have used everything and anything that we can get our hands on, Alpha omega workbooks, Abeka, BJU, and more. For health I always got those free pamphlets at the doctors office and then used those to teach health you will have to down scale the lesson for younger kids but it works. Try searching worksheets for a subect you will get lots. Math.com has math practice, the internet will be a great help to find information on anything, spelling list came from the dictionary make your own. I didn't hang up a lot of stuff, kids didn't seem to need it. My youngest is now 15 years old. We start the day when he gets up with basketball practice at night , he gets home around ten and by the time he showers and eats it's eleven or twelve,so we are very relaxed. You want to have aschedule of the young ones, we used to start at 8;30 am, each class was thirty to fourty min long. by the time you teach it and they do the work pages. We also took breaks in the morn and afternoons, during those breaks always made them go outside and run arounds to unwind them for the next classes.
I will work on a list of sites for you and post that later, Blessing, Karen.

karenc.
User

sites I've used

Postby karenc. » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:58 am

ROBIN:

http://www.lessontutor.com/ltlist.html worksheets

http://papertoys.com/ paper toys and places to color and cut out

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/methods/UnitsFree.htm unit studies

http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/ used books, also has a links page for information on studies

http://homeschool.crecon.com/classifieds/classifieds.cgi used books

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/teachers/resources/title.html unit study information

http://www.homeschoollearning.com/units/gstore_units.shtml unit studies

Hopefully these will help with creating studies for you. Karen

wvrobin
User

KAREN THANKS A BUSHEL!!!!!!

Postby wvrobin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:25 pm

KAREN,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME I HAVE ALREADY BEEN CHECKING INTO THE SITES YOU POSTED.I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP ,I'AM SURE AS I FIND OUT MORE I'LL BE BACK WITH MORE QUESTIONS!

THANK YOU WVROBIN,

Joy
User

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:13 pm

WVROBIN,

I'm happy to see that Karen has given you so many good links and ideas.

I homeschooled all three of my children from a log cabin in Alaska that I helped to build and each of them has now graduated from college.

And there was not much help in those days for those of us who helped to pioneer the movement up there.

You've already done the best thing you could do, which is ask for help!

My area of expertise is in music and language development and how they relate to one another. Before I left Alaska, I was flown around the state to give lectures and interactive presentations.

If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Joy
Joy Sikorski, M.A.
singbabysing.com
youtube.com/singbabysing

singing and speech...both from the same areas of the brain...both easy to train

Return to “Getting Started”