In need of guides, books on homeschooling!!!!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Snezhana
User

In need of guides, books on homeschooling!!!!

Postby Snezhana » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:55 am

Hi!
My name is Snezhana. I live in Ukraine and expacting our first baby which my husband and I wouln't like to give out into the world to nobody to take care of. So, we decided give it the proper education at home. I have a lot of skills like drawing, foreign languages, literature; my husband (beeing an engineer) is good in math, physics, mechanics and such. We both share idea of Maria Montessori and others who care for children...but...
You may ask me why I am on this forum if our child is not yet born (it will come in December this year). The answer is we don't have such thing like homeschooling in Ukraine at all (well, maybe with the diabled children they do teaching at home, but those who can carry his schoolbag must go to public school). Our parents think we will destroy our child's future. We have no groups and nobody to look at as an example, so I think I must think beforehand and write myself methodics and organize myself somehow to do all this. I would like to read some books on how to start (without curriculums) for I will write my owns. I tried to purchase some books through eBay but I can only get the books by snail mail and pay at the post not on the site. So, my question to you is : any of you knows some site where I could either download such guides or by them in the way I described earlier?
And one more thing. Everyone here, on this forum is so inspiring, so attached to their children and so full of bright ideas that it makes me look with optimism at our endavour. Thank you!

Snezhana
I want to believe.

Theodore

Re: In need of guides, books on homeschooling!!!!

Postby Theodore » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:30 pm

Sounds like what you need is something that explains the different methods of homeschooling and how to go about using them:
Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:27 pm

For an overview of different styles and curricula available for homeschoolers, I like to recommend So, You're Thinking About Homeschooling? by Lisa Whelchel. She takes you to different families who have different lifestyles and use different curricula to give a broad overview of what's being done. It's an easy read, very conversational.
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Return to “Getting Started”