Does anyone here use Calvert or Univ. of Nebr. Highschool?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

acheshire
User

Does anyone here use Calvert or Univ. of Nebr. Highschool?

Postby acheshire » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:48 pm

I used Calvert until i started high school. Then we started using University Of Nebraska's Div. Of High School Studies curriculum. Both were terriffic and I got a great education. I wasn't bored, that is for sure, and there was no question at all as to if I was on target for my age and grade. I was ahead of the game, and not because I was brilliant. If you are looking for suppliments to what you are using now, or looking for an entire program, I suggest checking them out.

Is anyone here already using either of them?

Theodore

Re: Does anyone here use Calvert or Univ. of Nebr. Highschoo

Postby Theodore » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:31 pm

Calvert is quite comprehensive, but the later grades are in my opinion a bit dry. I did 8th grade myself, and my math papers got dinged if I didn't put them in an exact format, and there was a heavy emphasis on sentence diagramming - of the sort where it takes half a page to diagram one sentence. Some people find comfort in that sort of structure, but I just found it irritating. The earlier grades seem more creative.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln covers the material adequately. I can't really say I enjoyed their courses, but it might have been the subjects (Intro to Programming / Basic and Physical Science) rather than the material. So you boil several different liquids and use a thermometer to record the temperatures. Not surprisingly, water ends up at 212 degrees F, but you already knew that, so why are you doing that particular experiment?

Maybe there's just something wrong with my personality :)

acheshire
User

Postby acheshire » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:09 pm

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”