I need a lot of help.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

killwhitneydead
User

I need a lot of help.

Postby killwhitneydead » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi, I'm Whitney. I'm 16 and a Junior in High School. I've been wanting to get homeschooled for a few years now but my mom doesn't think it's a good idea. She thinks I'm doing good in school and everything but really I sleep through all my classes and I dont learn anything from my teachers. And I think being homeschooled would turn that around.
Problem is, she works for the post office 6-3 (sometimes 4).

Are there any programs that would allow me to be like self-taught or that would allow her to keep working?

any advice would help. thanks.
Music is holy. Art is sacred. Creativity is power.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:19 pm

Can you get your GED, and take classes at a local community college? You would probably get much more out of that.

Lorren
User

Postby Lorren » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:05 pm

Does your state offer programs where you can take community college classes for both High School and college credit? The state of Washington does and I was able to attend college half the day during my senior year. It was a lot more interesting... I got to even take fun classes like music theory.

Since your 16, couldn't you homeschool yourself? A lot of adults have to relearn the material in order to teach it to their kids. You would have to be motivated to do it yourself though. You're old enough that you could stay home by yourself without your mom having to quit her job :lol:.

There's also the charter school option... some charter schools are based on the internet and you work from home. That might be more interesting for you, depending on what school you went with. There's probably some online charter school out there that would allow you to work at your own pace (I'm guessing that you fall asleep and are bored because the work is too easy). Your mom wouldn't have to do any teaching for you in that case either.

Or there are computer based homeschool programs, like Switched On Schoolhouse. Your mom wouldn't have to stay home and teach you if you did something like that either.

Good luck!

killwhitneydead
User

Postby killwhitneydead » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:36 pm

Lorren wrote:Does your state offer programs where you can take community college classes for both High School and college credit? The state of Washington does and I was able to attend college half the day during my senior year. It was a lot more interesting... I got to even take fun classes like music theory.

Yeah, Ohio offers post secondary programs for high school students. I took the test to get into it and passed it but my grade point average wasn't high enough for them.

Thanks for all the advice.
Music is holy. Art is sacred. Creativity is power.

kkapfe
User

Postby kkapfe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 am

If you are interested in Christian curriculum...Abeka has a DVD program that allows you to "watch" all of your classes everyday and then do your work. I believe Bob Jones has something similar. I would love to use them with my own kids when they get older. For now they need me to sit with them and have A LOT of interaction. But it sounds like something that would be great for you.

Return to “Getting Started”