Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello From Homeschool Grad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acheshire
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Hello From Homeschool Grad Reply with quote

Hi. My name is a Abanna. I often go by River because it is easier for people to say and remember.
I was home schooled from age 8 until 18, with one year off of homeschooling to attend public school for my sophmore year. (My grades plummeted out of boredom because the classes moved so slow.....do our students really need a week to read a 4 page chapter in history????) and rest assured, I am no brainiac.
Homeschooling was the best thing that ever happened to me, even if it was done out the reality that we had no choice. My parents were missionaries to the islands of St. Lucia & Dominica, and the schools were severely overcrowded. We couldn't take a seat in the schools away from a local child, in good conscience, when the home-schooling option was right there. Considering that many of the kids don't get an education past the age of 16, it was the right choice.
I was on the Calvert curr. through the 8th grade, and did University of Nebraska-Lincoln for high school. The end result was that I was able to pass the ACTs at the beginning of my sophomore year, I got into a very tough college, and I found out that I had a better education than nearly all of my college friends and they were struggling with work i had done 3 or 4 years prior. It didn't take me long to figure out that my mother did the right thing by putting me in homeschool. So, I thank her constantly.
Currently I work in telecommunications (no I am not listening to your calls....I might be disconnecting them....but definitely NOT listening) and I am a writer in my spare time. I am actually toying with writing a novel about my homeschooling years. It was not easy, and it was a heck of a ride, and given the growing popularity of home schooling, it think alot of people will laugh as well as relate to it, and it could be an eye-opener for people considering homeschool and show them that the benefits out-weigh the losses. My sister used to scream about not getting to go to the prom because there wasn't one........looking back, i will take a real education over a school dance any day. My education got me a job, puts food on the table, gave me my family and most of the things i take pleasure in are because of my education.

Alright....I'm sorry.....I seem to be rambling.

I just want you guys to know that I am here if you have questions or want a point of view from someone who lived it.

So, hello all.
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What company do you work for? My husband is in the telecommunications industry, and has, in fact, held the job of disconnecting service.

I enjoyed reading your post! It's encouraging for parents to hear kids do like it!
acheshire
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to refrain from saying which one I work for. I mentioned it once on another message board and the next thing i knew people were asking for favors. I can't fix any billing or anything.... I mainly handle business projects...if you need 1000 phones disconnected in a call center, then I'm your girl. It's not what I said I would be when i grew up, but it pays the bills and doesn't directly conflict with my moral principles....
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand! You wouldn't believe the number of people who have asked my husband to help them keep their service on! THen again, you might....
AnnetteR
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Writing a book about your homeschooling experience sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
It was not easy, and it was a heck of a ride,

The same can be said for public school as well as anything else in life. And being a teenager is hard - period - homeschool, public school, rich, poor, popular, unpopular - it's hard. And not everyone that goes to public school makes it to the prom. I've never been to a school dance and I went to public school.

Thanks for sharing. Smile
jan
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: HEY! Reply with quote

I ENJOYED YOUR POST HOPE TO HEAR MORE FROM YOU! I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE HEARING YOUR COMMENTS , COMING FROM THE STUDENTS VIEW . I WOULD LOVE TO READ YOUR BOOK . I AM SURE IT WOULD BE AN INTERESTING READ!
sofy5857
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly appreciate your post. I have not even started with the homeschooling yet and my teenagers are already acting like their life is ending because I'm pulling them out of the public school system.

Your comments give me the encouragement and strength I need to move forward with my decision to homeschool them. Razz
acheshire
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point out to your kids that they won't have to spend as much time in class, if they focus and get their work done, they could even finish the school year faster. (During my senior year I went from having a three hour school day to a 5 hour school day and I wound up finishing my senior year four and half months early.....That was the ULTIMATE summer!!! Who gets a seven and half month summer in public school?? The fact that I was in the caribbean at the time didn't hurt any.) Also point out that if they do well, then they can get longer weekends, they don't have to eat cafeteria food anymore, etc...(only do that if you mean it). Take the glamour out of public school. My mom actually lifted my bedtime completely because I didn't have to catch a bus at 7am. WE could start school at noon. Some people would say that it is not a good idea not to have a set schedule, but I turned out pretty well, I am highly organized and effecient, and I rarely procrastinate because I know the benefit of getting the work done, usually early. It means free time without the nagging thought that I was putting something off. ....and I am rambling again. Find the upside (if you guys want, you can go the movies in the middle of the afternoon, etc...)

Idea Just be careful about seperating the roles of parent and teacher. It drove me nuts that when I was outside of my school time, my mother would be asking "have you read chapter 8 and done all 25 of your algebra problems?" It is really frustrating when your mother or father know every last detail of your homework and nag you all through your spare time about it, and when you say it is done, they want to go ahead and administer the pop quiz that wasn't going to happen until the next day, but hey! now is as good a time as any to earn extra credit......from parent to teacher in 0.7 seconds. Just an example.......and I am rambling again. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: